Weird Longterm Injury

Got the call from the doctor to discuss how things are looking, she and another doctor at the practice did the evaluation and based on how/when of the injury and what his status is right now (reflexes, pain location) it's more than likely that he has a fractured spine or nerve damage in his spine that is causing him to become slowly paralyzed. She wasn't convinced that X-rays would show anything, but that possibly a CT scan would, but even then if it is a spinal injury there is no positive outcome without intensive care which I agree isn't the life a goose deserves. He should be able to walk around in the grass, bathe in the pool, and do goosey things.

If we had taken him in immediately, maybe a mix of high-dose meloxicam and gabapentin could have helped, but again if it is a fracture there's no fix for it.

It just sucks, no way around it. I get that male geese fight and that this is just a freak accident, but he's such a sweet boy and it's just not fair.

If you’re able ask for a full panel blood test to check vitamin and nutrient levels and a blood count. From what I’ve experienced with my geese is that those that have had severe enough illnesses that they go off their feet will relapse multiple times, so if they’ve had a vitamin deficiency and it isn’t related to the kind of feed their on, it’s because their metabolism isn’t as efficient and they’re prone to deficiencies and need to be on a supplement regiment. Similar to chickens prone to wry neck.

Another possibility is that they can be uniquely prone to certain infections that can inhibit nutrient absorption, like my Roxby, he gets coccidia and Giardia infections much worse than the others and if I don’t have him on medication the moment I suspect he’s gone off his food he’ll be off his legs in a few days.

This is good info, I have another goose who seems to get respiratory issues while everyone else is healthy, I've always wondered if she has something like a vitamin issue that causes it.

Got the call from the doctor to discuss how things are looking, she and another doctor at the practice did the evaluation and based on how/when of the injury and what his status is right now (reflexes, pain location) it's more than likely that he has a fractured spine or nerve damage in his spine that is causing him to become slowly paralyzed. She wasn't convinced that X-rays would show anything, but that possibly a CT scan would, but even then if it is a spinal injury there is no positive outcome without intensive care which I agree isn't the life a goose deserves. He should be able to walk around in the grass, bathe in the pool, and do goosey things.

If we had taken him in immediately, maybe a mix of high-dose meloxicam and gabapentin could have helped, but again if it is a fracture there's no fix for it.

It just sucks, no way around it. I get that male geese fight and that this is just a freak accident, but he's such a sweet boy and it's just not fair.
I’m so sorry! Sometimes there isn’t an easy outcome and all you can do is try. He’s had a good life with how much care he’s been given which is the important thing.

Back
Top Bottom