Welsummers: First Eggs Pictures and Question

Hozer

Songster
13 Years
Feb 14, 2009
Homer, Alaska
Here are my Welsummer's first eggs.

They are about 5 months old. I thought they were at least a month away from laying. However, they have been pretty noisy lately. I guess they were telling everyone they were getting ready. Some are dark and some are pretty light.

I thought I read somewhere that some eggs start out light and then darken up....like they are still working on the paint. Is this the case? I have not been home from work yet, so I haven't seen them in person.

22928_eggs1_medium.jpg

22928_eggs2_medium.jpg

Pretty speckled eggs!

After a week or so, their "ink jets" will stablize and give you the actual color they will produce until time for molt or weather or stress.

The lightest ones are not acceptable but since it is the first time, I will wait and see how it will come out later.

I love the egg at the one oclock place, it is smooth and dark and beautiful!

Quote:
Thanks, folks. I also have 2 BCM pullets in there, so the one at 1 o'clock may be from one of them. I doubt it though, because they seem to be slower at maturing.

Like I said, I am away from home right now. I'll figure it out when I get back. They will probably be eaten by then. My wife is Chinese and she says the eggs are "Q" (cute). She says they look like tea eggs. The Chinese hard boil eggs in strong black tea. They let them sit in the warm tea until you buy them. They taste excellent that way...especially the ones that are cracked.

My wife was worried that the eggs were so small. My daughter explained they will get bigger as the hens mature.

They all look like welsummer eggs to me. Mine all started out dark and I haven't noticed much difference since then. Yours may darken some when the pullets get laying better though.

Back
Top Bottom