What’s wrong with my duck?

Bok Choy

In the Brooder
Mar 17, 2024
Central Alabama
Pink Billie Buff has always had a more pale pink bill, and I’m not sure why. He seems to have something wrong compared to the other ducks.
Other symptoms are:
His poop turns a teal color once dried.
He will be panting when the other 3 ducks are breathing normally.
His pale bill seems to hold on to the dirt/mud more.
His bill will feel warm to the touch compared to the others.

They are about 17 weeks old now.

I attached a few photos of him compared to my other TSC “buff” duck.
Also a concerning poop picture. It looks like the feed pellets aren’t digested. The liquid dries to a teal color.
Also a couple videos of the panting I’m talking about. I hope the links work.

https://pin.it/2xpv27fak
https://pin.it/qmrJZvW24

I’m having a hard time researching what’s going on so I can treat him. Has anyone experienced any or all of these symptoms?

Is there anything I can do to cure him at home like antibiotics?

I really appreciate it.
Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_6108.jpeg
    IMG_6108.jpeg
    714.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_6516.jpeg
    IMG_6516.jpeg
    554.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6658.jpeg
    IMG_6658.jpeg
    617.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6657.jpeg
    IMG_6657.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Not sure who told you they were Buffs. Buffs are light brown when grown. I’d say Pink Billie is a White Layer, as they can have pink bills, and your orange-bill may either be the same breed or a Pekin.

Panting and a hot bill are both symptoms of overheating, but since he’s the only one, I’m not sure. I can’t explain the poop or his bill holding more dirt / mud.

Pale beaks occur in Pekins, which looks like the breed you have. My first ducks included three Pekins and one's beak was pink and the other two orange. They're big birds, I think he's just hot. Make sure they always have plenty of fresh water and shade. I have seen hundreds of variations in poop. I wouldn't worry so much about that. Just make sure you are feeding proper duck food and also adding brewer's or nutritional yeast to their food, since they are Pekins. Heavyweight birds are more prone to bumblefoot, so check their feet every week or two to catch any possible infections early!

Not sure who told you they were Buffs. Buffs are light brown when grown. I’d say Pink Billie is a White Layer, as they can have pink bills, and your orange-bill may either be the same breed or a Pekin.

Panting and a hot bill are both symptoms of overheating, but since he’s the only one, I’m not sure. I can’t explain the poop or his bill holding more dirt / mud.
I have to agree with Kathi on this. Those are NOT buffs. Buffs are wayyyy different colors. White Layers have a pale beak like that. Pekings and white layers will look very similar. But pekings will have orange beak AND orange feet. White layers are basically tweaked genetics of pekings so they will look very similar.

But don't worry about it! If I had a choice I would definitely do pekings. They are good ducks. They have good carcasse weight for raising meat. If fed well they'll have good egg production also. And they are comical and make good pets. Kids like them a lot.

It has been hot out. Do you have a shady place they can go under during the day? My ducks when it was over 90 degrees they'd like to go under really big bushes to enjoy the shade. This will help them not get too overheated.

And thanks and support to KathiQuacks for bringing this up to comment further on.

Here is a pic of some ducks that includes both buff ducks and white pekings so you can compare them. The two light brown ones on the left are buffs. The whites are pekings (and you can see the orange in beak).

Attachments

• The inmates 1.jpg
    The inmates 1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom