What am I doing wrong?! Very discouraged with sick chickens.

When I noticed the mites, I did a thorough deep clean of my hen house. It was an all day event! And then I used DermaEarth food grade in the hen house and rubbed it in each of the chickens wings. I haven't noticed any mites
I'm sorry for your losses.

Getting a necropsy would be a good idea.

In the meantime, re-check the birds and housing for mites.
I know a lot of folks use different products, but if there's an infestation, DE is usually not as effective a treatment for external parasites as a Permethrin based product.

What did you deworm with? Is there a way to take a sampling of poop to a vet and have a fecal float just to rule out worms and Coccidiosis so you know these are unlikely contributors to decline?

I'm sorry for your losses.

Getting a necropsy would be a good idea.

In the meantime, re-check the birds and housing for mites.
I know a lot of folks use different products, but if there's an infestation, DE is usually not as effective a treatment for external parasites as a Permethrin based product.

What did you deworm with? Is there a way to take a sampling of poop to a vet and have a fecal float just to rule out worms and Coccidiosis so you know these are unlikely contributors to decline?
I'm going to call a couple vets in area to see if they can do that. I really would like some answers. Thank you.

I don’t have anything helpful to add, other than moral support. I think we’ve all been in your shoes. You sound like an awesome chicken mama. It doesn’t always go in our favor and it hurts. I wish you the best of luck in finding answers and hope you and your daughters are able to rediscover the joy of chicken tendering. :hugs
Thank you so much, moral support is much needed. ❤️

brave GIF

Be brave! Keep moving forward! You got this! :highfive:

I third getting a necropsy. We can certainly make educated guesses at what happened, but the absolute best way to know what happened is to get a necropsy then we'll know for sure and can make a plan from there
From the sounds of it though, I don't think their deaths are related to poor management. I agree with everyone else that they shouldn't be on layer feed, but it sounds like you're doing a good job caring for them

Thanks for all your responses.
Update - I brought my silkie to the vet today. They had to put him to sleep, he was suffering and not getting any better. They suspect mareks and said if it's mareks I'll have to eithenize my entire flock?!
Currently the silkie is being flown to Washington State University for a Necropsy. Hoping to hear back sooner than later. Will keep everyone updated!

Back
Top Bottom