What are the quality names for a chicken?

Probably "pet quality."

When hatching silkie eggs we bought from someone else that look pretty fancy, unless they say, "show quality" they probably aren't hatchery breeds necessarily, so given @sourland's post, I'd say breeder quality.

But when someone advertises eggs and says, "Show quality," to me that means they are vaulted, bearded, 5 toes, black skin (depending on variation), and turquoise/blue earlobes.

Feather types can be silkie (fuzzy), satin (smooth), or frizzled.
What's vaulted?

What's vaulted?
If not vaulted like others pointed out, then it may have a smaller poof on the top or a crest. Your hen I believe has a vaulted skull.

Some people just raising silkies for fun avoid the vaulted ones because it's said they can be prone to head injuries or get pecked as a chick or in a fight. I have raised and free-ranged vaulted, non-vaulted, and crested silkies for 8 years and have never seen a problem with any of them.

I know about silkies but I had asked about what quality are my silkies in the past and they said a term. But I have no idea what that is.
I wasn't sure what kind of terms you were asking about, so I was trying to cover some terms (like breed, variety, bantam) that I had not yet seen in any responses, in case the one you needed might be one of them.

I wasn't sure what kind of terms you were asking about, so I was trying to cover some terms (like breed, variety, bantam) that I had not yet seen in any responses, in case the one you needed might be one of them.
Thank you for posting the information in the thread though.

Back
Top Bottom