What are these organs???

Wildgrass

Chirping
Aug 28, 2021
I wrote my big write-up of my first meat bird harvest earlier, but I also need to know...what the heck is going on with some of these bird insides! I figure if I'm going to be sticking my hand inside a bird and yanking all this out, I should at least know what everything is called.

cloacal sac.jpg

Figure 1: this empty, balloony sac right inside the bird's cloaca. This one was veiny for some reason. What is it?!

intestine spots.jpg

Figure 2: one or two of the birds had spotting on their intestines, what is it?!?!?

neck lumps.jpg

Figure 3: I noticed these on many birds, little beanlike lumps floating around inside their neck meat. This one had particularly large and linear ones. WHAT ARE THEY?!

pre-gizzard.jpg

Figure 4: I've seen the name of this one before but can't remember it. Not the gizzard, but the pouch leading into the gizzard. WHAT IS IT???

Many, many thanks in advance for satisfying my curiosity and teaching me something new :ya

Figure 1 my guess is the shell gland, assuming this came from a hen.
Figure 2 no idea, perhaps evidence of round worms?
Figure 3 I would assume lymph nodes based on location and the characteristic "bean" shape.
Figure 4 is the proventriculus.

TBH I had to do some googling, the only one I was already pretty sure of is the lymph nodes ;)

Figure 1 my guess is the shell gland, assuming this came from a hen.
Figure 2 no idea, perhaps evidence of round worms?
Figure 3 I would assume lymph nodes based on location and the characteristic "bean" shape.
Figure 4 is the proventriculus.

TBH I had to do some googling, the only one I was already pretty sure of is the lymph nodes ;)
So, for Figure 3, we assumed lymph nodes, but apparently ducks and swans are the only birds with lymph nodes! I did some more googling and an older BYC thread says maybe thyroid and parathyroid glands...but I don't see anything definitive yet.

I think you must be right about shell gland, I remember the picture being from a rooster but that's the most likely answer. I'll have to pay attention next time we have a roo get culled!

After looking at roundworm/intestine pictures and googling some more, I found this link that suggests the spots are fairly common in slaughtered birds and doesn't signify anything good or bad.

And proventriculus, perfect, thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom