What breed are my ducks and whats a duclair duck?

May 6, 2022
I have had my two drakes for over 2 years now and thought they were a mix between a mallard and cayuga. I thought this until recently I came across a picture of a drake that looked similar to my drakes dad and it was called a "duclair duck". I went and did some research online and got varying info about them. Some sources said they're a rouen variant and other said they're just mallards of a different color and are referred to as "manky mallards". So what truly is a duclair duck and are my ducks mixed with it? (Top picture is my ducks dad and bottom is my ducks)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220410-133818_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220410-133818_Gallery.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 43
  • image000000(6).jpg
    image000000(6).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
Hi.

(...Where are you from?)

Duclair ducks - "Canards de Duclair" - are ducks from Normandy (FRANCE).

They generally are Bibbed Black, but you can also find Bibbed Blue Duclair ducks, and now, even Bibbed Brown Duclair ducks... (Brown is NOT Chocolate!)
(And if I'm remembering right, 17% of Duclair ducklings are born entirely yellow...?)

A Duclair duck is not a Mallard : it is bigger, rounder, and actually kind of looks like a Swedish Blue.

A Duclair duck is, also, not a Rouen : it is smaller, and not so... fat?

...Actually, we don't really know the truth about the origins of Duclair ducks.
We are told they could came from wild and domestic ducks mating, but... nobody seems to really know if it is true or not.

In any case, they are good ducks : they are easy to take care of... their meat is great, and the hens lay around 150 eggs per year.
(Eggs should weight at least 70 grams, and are greenish...)
...Besides, they are beautiful ducks, so...

Sadly, they also are rare ducks : indeed, like a lot of breeds, they almost went extinct.
But thanksfully, there are currently people trying hard to save the breed in France. (I myself bought eggs two days ago, and I should receive them soon...)

Here is a video where you can see what Duclair ducks look like :

(YOUR drakes do seem to be Cayuga mix...)

Last edited:
Hi.

(...Where are you from?)

Duclair ducks - "Canards de Duclair" - are ducks from Normandy (FRANCE).

They generally are Bibbed Black, but you can also find Bibbed Blue Duclair ducks, and now, even Bibbed Brown Duclair ducks... (Brown is NOT Chocolate!)
(And if I'm remembering right, 17% of Duclair ducklings are born entirely yellow...?)

A Duclair duck is not a Mallard : it is bigger, rounder, and actually kind of looks like a Swedish Blue.

A Duclair duck is, also, not a Rouen : it is smaller, and not so... fat?

...Actually, we don't really know the truth about the origins of Duclair ducks.
We are told they could came from wild and domestic ducks mating, but... nobody seems to really know if it is true or not.

In any case, they are good ducks : they are easy to take care of... their meat is great, and the hens lay around 150 eggs per year.
(Eggs should weight at least 70 grams, and are greenish...)
...Besides, they are beautiful ducks, so...

Sadly, they also are rare ducks : indeed, like a lot of breeds, they almost went extinct.
But thanksfully, there are currently people trying hard to save the breed in France. (I myself bought eggs two days ago, and I should receive them soon...)

Here is a video where you can see what Duclair ducks look like :

(YOUR drakes do seem to be Cayuga mix...)
Thank you for the info it really helped clear a lot of confusion I had about the duclair duck. I still wonder though what breed could the father of my drakes be (their dad seems to be the size of your average mallard)? Oh and I live in the US state of Texas.

Thank you for the info it really helped clear a lot of confusion I had about the duclair duck.

You are welcome.

If you want to see Duclair ducks pictures, don't search them using English : use French on Google Image.

For Bibbed Black Duclair ducks, write "Canard de Duclair Noir".
For Bibbeb Blue Duclair ducks, write "Canard de Duclair Bleu".
For Bibbed Brown Duclair ducks, write "Canard de Duclair Brun".
...And you can then find pictures.

(Bibbed Brown Duclair are especially rare, so pictures are sometimes hard to find - even on Google Image. But you can at least find videos on Youtube.)

I still wonder though what breed could the father of my drakes be (their dad seems to be the size of your average mallard)? Oh and I live in the US state of Texas.

I am not sure, but someone probably would have an assumption on the father...?

In any case, they really are beautiful drakes.
Even if they had not so shiny colours, they would be nice to look at - so cute they are...

You are welcome.

If you want to see Duclair ducks pictures, don't search them using English : use French on Google Image.

(Bibbed Brown Duclair are especially rare, so pictures are sometimes hard to find - even on Google Image. But you can at least find videos on Youtube.)

Even if they had not so shiny colours, they would be nice to look at - so cute they are...
Do you have any info on Naked neck ducks ( Canard cou-nu) if that is what they are called? Have seen very little info on them.

Do you have any info on Naked neck ducks ( Canard cou-nu) if that is what they are called? Have seen very little info on them.

Naked-Neck ducks - "Canards Cou-Nu" - are a pretty new breed originated from, or at least approved in, Lorraine (FRANCE).

They actually are Mallard ducks,
but with a neck devoid of feathers, a partially bald head, a partially defeathered abdomen, tarsi and toes devoid of scales, and atrophied rump and flight feathers.

Since they technically are Mallard ducks, their size and weight are the same.
(Even though, for what it's worth : I heard Naked-Neck Ducks actually seem to be on the small size compared with healthy, normal Mallards...?)

...These Naked-Neck ducks' appearance is due to a genetic mutation appeared, ACCIDENTALLY, in 1992...

The Naked-Neck Duck was then shown in Metz in November 1997 in order to be approved as a breed; but from what I know, the approval has actually been made effective only in February 2002.

...In spite of the fact they lack so much feathers, Naked-Neck ducks are said to be well-suited to cold climate.

But informations are really hard to find, since given there are very few breeders, these ducks are rare.
They are indeed not easy to find, and so, to procure.

(And, if we are to be honest : Naked-Neck ducks are interesting, but not beautiful, cute, nice to look at... and so, they are not wanted/popular.)

Last edited:
You are welcome.

I can agree with that! My drakes pretty darn handsome 😍. Thank you

Naked-Neck ducks - "Canards Cou-Nu" - are a pretty new breed originated from, or at least approved in, Lorraine (FRANCE).

They actually are Mallard ducks,
but with a neck devoid of feathers, a partially bald head, a partially defeathered abdomen, tarsi and toes devoid of scales, and atrophied rump and flight feathers.

Since they technically are Mallard ducks, their size and weight are the same.
(Even though, for what it's worth : I heard Naked-Neck Ducks actually seem to be on the small size compared with healthy, normal Mallards...?)

...These Naked-Neck ducks' appearance is due to a genetic mutation appeared, ACCIDENTALLY, in 1992...

The Naked-Neck Duck was then shown in Metz in November 1997 in order to be approved as a breed; but from what I know, the approval has actually been made effective only in February 2002.

...In spite of the fact they lack so much feathers, Naked-Neck ducks are said to be well-suited to cold climate.

But informations are really hard to find, since given there are very few breeders, these ducks are rare.
They are indeed not easy to find, and so, to procure.

(And, if we are to be honest : Naked-Neck ducks are interesting, but not beautiful, cute, nice to look at... and so, they are not wanted/popular.)
Thank you I seen you were from France and thought you might be able give info. Not much info here in USA Thanks again for your detailed answer.

Back
Top Bottom