What breed is my extra chick?

Hi! I ordered 12 chicks from Mt. Healthy Hatcheries (they are two weeks old and thriving with zero issues!). I received 13 chicks and I initially thought Lucky #13 was another Black Australorp, as I had ordered two. I have been looking at her the last couple of days and I think her legs are getting feathers!? Which means she is definitely NOT an Australorp. Which leads me to wonder - what is she? Black Copper Marans is my guess. I need to get my hands on her so that I can inspect her cute little leggies up close, but she definitely looks different than the other two Black Australorp chicks for sure. I have included a photo of the feather leg, mystery chick Lucky #13, and one of one of the Black Australorps. I know I probably won't know for sure until they're fully feathered, but I thought I'd still ask. Thanks!View attachment 3818969View attachment 3818970
I'm new to all of this, but @ShrekDawg may be right about this. I have Midnight Majesty Marans, which are a cross between a Copper Maran and a Barred Rock, and they have feathered legs and feet. It will be easier to tell in a few weeks when all of the feathers come in.

Olive Egger makes sense because I did order three; one is yellow and the other two are grey (blue?) and one is getting a tinge of yellow so I just wasn't thinking this little girl could be one, but the more I read, the more I think you're right and she is! Thank you!
Maybe I am wrong about the yellow one and she's an EE? I ordered three Americanas as well. IMG_7744.jpg IMG_7712.jpg IMG_7710.jpg

I bet your yellow is an EE and the other is an Olive Egger. They always send you extras of what you ordered. Your Olive Egger just takes after their BCM parent.

I’d love to see pics of your other EE’s. I just got 2 from Mt healthy, both chipmunk chicks. One has puffy cheeks and one doesn’t. Mine from last year lays a sage green egg.

I bet your yellow is an EE and the other is an Olive Egger. They always send you extras of what you ordered. Your Olive Egger just takes after their BCM parent.

I’d love to see pics of your other EE’s. I just got 2 from Mt healthy, both chipmunk chicks. One has puffy cheeks and one doesn’t. Mine from last year lays a sage green egg.
Yes! that makes sense. This is what I have decided! Apparently I have a yellow one! haha. There are two that are brown and a third that is really interestingly colored right now but I need to try and get a better picture of her. She is, like, brown and grey and yellow? The one is my BFF along with this Australorp and the yellow one, but this one brown girl is my baby. She perches in my hand or on my arm and goes to sleep and it's amazing 😍😭 She has some puff happening :) IMG_7826.jpg IMG_7819.JPG IMG_7823.jpg IMG_7752.jpg

Back
Top Bottom