What Chicken Am I?

crowleychickens

Hatching
Jun 18, 2024
Hi there,

I cannot figure out what kind of chicken this is. The chickens that the store were selling that day were Black Jersey Giants or Australorps. Marans. Cochin. I just have no idea.

Attachments

• IMG_6750.png
    IMG_6750.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6557.jpeg
    IMG_6557.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6448.jpeg
    IMG_6448.jpeg
    516.3 KB · Views: 10
Welcome to BYC!

I believe that's an Australorp.
Although, she's got white on her wings so she may not be that, but no other breed comes to mind. I still think she is an Australorp though.

some stats on the breeds you listed:

Jersey giants vs australorps

As day old chicks look almost identical except for skin color (and that's hard to tell when they're that tiny and you don't really know the difference.

Giants have yellow skin, australorps have white.

As chicks grow, australorps have black eyes, including irises. Giants gain the bay/orange iris many breeds have.

Growth rate: mostly the same. The Giants simply don't STOP growing until about a year old and will keep filling out (getting wider) until about 18 months.

Cochins: feathered feet and tail is a very rounded end rather than fanning out. (They look like feathered soccer balls)

Marans: French any color means feathered feet. No French in the name means not feathered feet. White skin. Black copper start showing red tones around neck areas. Roos tend to show on shoulders first (early, along side comb growth and wattles), pullets tend to wait until males grow hackle/saddle pointy feathers. Lay eggs much darker brown than the others.

All the above breeds lay brown eggs.

Back
Top Bottom