What container do you put chick grit in if using a brooder box?

SplendidDogFeet

Chirping
Jun 17, 2024
North Texas
I have chick grit and yesterday was my first day putting it out. I learned quickly that Gro-gel on a little plate worked fine, but grit on a little plate equals grit immediately sprayed across the whole box. I guess it doesn't matter, but they investigate the plates more quickly, so is there a different kind of container I should use for the grit, or just go ahead and let them kick it all out of the plate? I love seeing their little scratching instincts kick in. ❤️

I take a shallow plastic container, add some larger rocks, then add the chick grit.

You could dig up some sod/dirt section, sprinkle the grit on it. This is also good to get them acclimated to local microbes they will encounter. So, using medicated chick starter plus giving them access to local microbes will help them develop immunity without getting sick. It is my understanding that the medication does not enter blood stream, but stays in gut, so it doesn’t stick around.

I take a shallow plastic container, add some larger rocks, then add the chick grit.

You could dig up some sod/dirt section, sprinkle the grit on it. This is also good to get them acclimated to local microbes they will encounter. So, using medicated chick starter plus giving them access to local microbes will help them develop immunity without getting sick. It is my understanding that the medication does not enter blood stream, but stays in gut, so it doesn’t stick around.
I had to use game bird starter because the Guinea keets need a higher protein level and couldn't find any medicated. 😞

I had to use game bird starter because the Guinea keets need a higher protein level and couldn't find any medicated. 😞
Medicated feed isn't really needed to do that. I fed mine unmediated and gave them clumps of grass and they were fine. Just make sure their brooder stays clean and dry
As for grit, I usually just sprinkle some on top of a can I keep in there for them to jump on, but sprinkling it in the brooder directly also works. As long as they have grit it's fine

Back
Top Bottom