What could I expect?

BGcoop

Crowing
5 Years
Aug 5, 2018
I am debating hatching eggs in the spring. I currently have a mixed flock with one white leghorn rooster and one white leghorn/barred rock? Rooster (he is gray with ghost barring, dad was a leghorn mom unknown) What type/color chicks could I expect from the mixed rooster? He is the only nonwhite bird I have hatched from leghorn roosters so far and I honestly don’t need any more white birds in my flock- I like color and variety. Since he has some coloring, could I expect his offspring to have colors(obviously depending on the mom) or will his offspring likely be mostly white. Since he has some barring would that make some of his offspring autosexing depending on what breed the mother is?
TIA

Attachments

• AC7448CF-9A63-47DD-9B1A-6F91FC759B19.jpeg
    AC7448CF-9A63-47DD-9B1A-6F91FC759B19.jpeg
    701.7 KB · Views: 11
I am debating hatching eggs in the spring. I currently have a mixed flock with one white leghorn rooster and one white leghorn/barred rock? Rooster (he is gray with ghost barring, dad was a leghorn mom unknown) What type/color chicks could I expect from the mixed rooster? He is the only nonwhite bird I have hatched from leghorn roosters so far and I honestly don’t need any more white birds in my flock- I like color and variety. Since he has some coloring, could I expect his offspring to have colors(obviously depending on the mom) or will his offspring likely be mostly white. Since he has some barring would that make some of his offspring autosexing depending on what breed the mother is?
TIA
His offspring should be white/gray with ghost barding or no barding at all. If the mother is black it could be a black chicken with ghost white barding on his/her feathers. White is dominant over all but black. It would be interesting to breed him to a blue hen though. As blue is also dominant. I think its around 25% of the chicks will be blue, they all will carry the gene and be recessive for it. The chicks from a blue mother, and him, would end up looking like a blue sexlink if they carry the barding gene. Lavender is a bit tricky you would have to breed at least two generations for the birds to be completely lavender (possibly with some ghost barding aswell) everything else should just be white with a chance of barding. (Sorry if I got any information wrong.) feel free to correct me.

Back
Top Bottom