What did my chickens have?

Shelly0723

Chirping
Jul 24, 2023
I have a White Plymouth Rock hen I crossed with a New Hampshire rooster. What kind of cross is this? Is it also considered a black sex link even though my rock hen is white? The red sex links I looked up online don't look anything like their offspring. The pullet looks like a featherless feet Buff Brahma and the cockerel came out barred and looks like the black sex link cockerels I see online.

There shouldn't be any barred offspring from that cross, so I'm thinking one of the parents has to be a mix. It's possible the white Plymouth rock has the barring gene but it's hidden due to her all white color. Pictures of the parents and offspring would help.

White Rocks are barred behind the white and in most of the cases the white is recessive, so most probably will no show in F1.

There shouldn't be any barred offspring from that cross, so I'm thinking one of the parents has to be a mix. It's possible the white Plymouth rock has the barring gene but it's hidden due to her all white color. Pictures of the parents and offspring would help.
The hen is a pure breed White Plymouth Rock, the rooster could be a New Hampshire/RIR mix, but since New Hampshire is basically RIR, I just said New Hampshire roo, will try to find a recent pic of the cockerel and pullet, my hen is molting right now so not looking that nice, and the rooster became chicken stew so no recent pics of him either.

This is Mocha, he exhibited fast feather growth and so did Caramel next to him, Colonel Mustard, the yellow chick in my avatar pic was exhibiting super slow feather growth, so I assumed she was a he, but the joke was on me, both Mocha and Caramel (in the first pic) are cockerels and Colonel Mustard is a pullet. Mocha is the cockerel that came out of the White Rock hen and NH roo cross we do not have any hens that are able to lay eggs with the barred gene other than the white rock. The pdf did not work so included screen shots of the pullet and cockerels. In the second image you can see the pullet, she also made me think she was a cockerel with her slow feathering and we had named her Vincent, later changed to Vincentina.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-07-01 at 1.26.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-07-01 at 1.26.45 PM.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 4
  • Screen Shot 2024-07-01 at 1.27.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-07-01 at 1.27.06 PM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Now I’m wondering if maybe the first pic is the father. But the pullet and cockerel both have a single comb, which makes me think the rooster in the way back in the second picture is the father. But now looking at the rooster with the buff coloring, that one would explain Vicentinas buff coloring as well. My 3 roosters are in the second pic the first 2 are New Hampshire/SLW crosses the 3rd one is New Hampshire

Attachments

• IMG_1842.png
    IMG_1842.png
    5.7 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1844.png
    IMG_1844.png
    4.6 MB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom