What did you do in the garden today?

Been working so I'm looking forward to time with flock & garden! In my travels yesterday, a delightful fragrance got my attention, then I looked & saw them. 🌼 🌸 🌻 🌹 The outdoor flower display.

The smell of Petunias holds a special place in my heart. I was 2 years old when I "helped" my Aunt Theresa garden. She was planting striped Petunias along the sidewalk that led to her front door. As she planted, I was moving along behind her, so dedicated to the task. We were a team! I was so happy, I was a valuable helper! We started at the far end of the walkway & when we had finally reached the front door landing, we had planted all of the cute, sweet smelling Petunias. When all finished, my aunt stood up, shook the soil from her gloves, then turned around to take a satisfying look back down the sidewalk, to drink in the accomplishment...and she saw what I had been so diligently busy doing in my desire to help. As she had planted the Petunias, I had pulled them right back out. Yup, the sidewalk was full of lovely Petunias 😆, not lining the sidewalk as intended, but On The Sidewalk, roots, dirt & all!

Thank goodness my Aunt had a wonderful sense of humor. She laughed, hugged me & we both replanted all of the Petunias as they should be. It was my 1st gardening lesson in life. I was only 2 & something but I remember the fragrance of Petunias, the soft velvety petals, and to this day they are among my favorite things in life. I think of Aunt Theresa & miss her.

Yesterday, I saw these...they are the exact color striped Petunias we planted so long ago. You know that I had to bring some home with me. ❤️

20240427_175320.jpg

Last edited:
You sure those aren't ramps? It's the right time of year for them. I thought I had wild garlic too, then found out they're ramps. Delicious in scrambled eggs. I think it's in W Va they actually have ramps festivals!
No, I am sure ! I know where they grow, and they have distinctive smell when you pick them and the bloom is also unique, ramps have broader leaves and different flowers
The late frost killed almost all the new leaves from my mulberry tree, palovina ( I’m very worried about the flower buds, they usually get killed off by late frost and it would have been the first time the tree would have bloomed!) , it also damaged some of the clover leaves ( got lots , so no biggie) I will
have to wait and see
IMG_6762.jpeg

It had also killed off my pineapple sage , I thought, I was trying to propagate, the 2. plant fell off the window sill and broke off, but hope springs eternal, so I brought it inside and voila, it has started to sprout new leaves

Last edited:
Hoping to hear from @WthrLady today. I just heard that yesterday’s storm hit a bit north of Omaha. Luck and good wishes for all in today’s storm path(s).
I'm no where close to Omaha, but thank you :)
It was kind of everywhere, 20 miles each side of me. MOSTLY over open land down here, it wasn't until it reached near omaha that it started running into a LOT of home in the mega neighborhoods.
Won't lie, it was a busy day.
The Arbor Day Outbreak.
Screenshot 2024-04-27 13.10.57.png

Busy day yesterday. Went shopping for a recliner and it comes Wednesday. Had my cell phone checked and the charging port failed. New phone comes Monday. Had the protection plan. A beehive swarmed as I was leaving for town. They moved into a empty hive while I was gone. Might have been 2 swarms from the same hive as another empty hive had a lot of activity. Rain then a bteak and more rain late afternoon.
I had a protection plan and when the new one came in it was a completely different brand and the cheapest piece of @#$&. This was with Sprint. I switched to T-Mobile and never got the plan again. I hope they have improved the plans. This was almost a decade ago.

Glad your swarms were happy with the hives you had available and didn't take off.

Careful what you wish for... I prayed for rain. We've had probably 4" since Thursday and this is looking forward.

View attachment 3814802

I'm going to DEFINITELY have to spray fruit trees on Tuesday for fungus....
Rain has been in our forecast but it rained 5 miles south & 5 miles north, missed us. Wow the pollen is heavy, too! My white truck looks yellow with a fuzzy yellow windshield. I had to do the sinus wash with that yucky 🤮 Flonase this morning, tastes nasty but it works. If ya can get past the 30 minutes of hacking & spitting that stuff as it post nasal drips & you taste it (not a good taste) Then at least you can breathe all day.

We were swamped with rain & flooding last month, then frost warnings, now it's gonna hit the 80s & we gotta water everything. Mother Nature is having a good laugh at the silly humans.

Back
Top Bottom