What did you do with your flock today?

Does she look like she's molting? I'm not sure ...I forget how old she is. My young birds usually lay at least some during molts...but my old girls usually don't. So maybe?
She turned 2 last month. Definitely has been molting albeit very gradually. New feathers interspersed with old dirty ones. Has not lost her wing feathers yet. Evidence being I clipped the escape artist's wings last summer) She was laying about 3 per week until just this past week. Poops are looking normal again (She's the only one who roosts in the coop at night). She's my only barnyard mix, so she is quite a unique lady in a lot of ways.

I'm trying to tell where the bulge is on her body and can't quite make it out. The possibilities that come to mind are an abscess, tumor or hernia. All of those can be firm. Egg waiting to exit isn't something I've seen but sounds possible? I'm not sure. I'm glad she's moving well, but not laying makes me think you're on to something when you worry it's reproductive related. We need @TropicalBabies insight. I'll keep my fingers crossed for her.
Below her vent.

The separation fence has been taken down, and the pullets are exploring the other side of the fence and the yard beyond. So glad the hardest stages are passed. Now, on to food transition eventually this summer or sooner, when the layer pellets run out when I switch everyone to all flock. Why do the big girls want to eat the pullet food every chance they get? It won't hurt them, but I'll just have to fill the feeder a lot more often.
Has anyone here not named their chickens? @LTAY1946

She turned 2 last month. Definitely has been molting albeit very gradually. New feathers interspersed with old dirty ones. Has not lost her wing feathers yet. Evidence being I clipped the escape artist's wings last summer) She was laying about 3 per week until just this past week. Poops are looking normal again (She's the only one who roosts in the coop at night). She's my only barnyard mix, so she is quite a unique lady in a lot of ways.
At two I would expect her to still lay some during a molt...is she still not laying? How's her bulge looking...is that area hotter than normal, colder or normal temperature?

O! I just read she layed! Wonderful 🥰

The separation fence has been taken down, and the pullets are exploring the other side of the fence and the yard beyond. So glad the hardest stages are passed. Now, on to food transition eventually this summer or sooner, when the layer pellets run out when I switch everyone to all flock. Why do the big girls want to eat the pullet food every chance they get? It won't hurt them, but I'll just have to fill the feeder a lot more often.
Has anyone here not named their chickens? @LTAY1946
Only a handful of mine have names. But if they get a name it means til death do we part...my special birds with personality plus 🥰

Back
Top Bottom