What does it physically feel like to cut a chickens head off?

Fluffy_Feathers

Songster
6 Years
Jul 6, 2017
Missouri
This summer I have had a couple run ins with injuries where I thought I may have to kill a hen. I did not end up having to, though I am still dealing with a hen and killing her is still not off the table. I have never had to kill one of my chickens, or any animal, before. I've watched videos on how to cut their heads off, which I feel is the most humane and most full proof way for me. I am wondering what it feels like? Like, how much pressure to use, how the knife glides through, etc?

I know this is a weird question (and maybe a bit disturbing question), but I'm super afraid of messing up and causing a chicken to die in pain.

Any information on this subject is welcome!

Well It is a decision that one does not make likely. It is considered a 'coup de grace' meaning that you give relief of living in pain.

As for what does it feel like, well that will depend on your tool. Sharp is much better, it also depends on your hand and arm strength. A small sharp ax, that you can fully control, smacked into a stump will really not feel any different with a chicken there. The blade is so sharp.

As for a knife - it too should be very sharp, but I have had trouble with the darn feathers getting in the way, and kind of preventing getting down to business, so to speak.

Another issue, is wrapping the bird or holding it tightly. A cone works well for this. Or a towel, or a bucket.

Afterwards, it is most common for movement, sometimes a regular storm of movement. A lot of people are not ready for this, it is not life or the struggle of life or a shot or jolt of pain. It is just a neural discharge, but this does upset many people.

My first ones, I had someone else with me, no more experience than me, but we gave each other moral support.

It is never easy, but it is doable. Each of us has to find a way that works best for us, our arm strength, our comfort. I truly do not believe that one method is more humane than others as long as it gets the job done quickly. I have tried several ways, and go back to a razor blade, and slit the juggler. They don't even flinch, and they just get tired. I have cut myself with a sharp blade and really there is very little pain with it. I can manage it by my self.

Mrs K

The last time I had to do it, I used a branch cutter since 1) I was in a pinch since the bird was badly wounded and 2) I figured it'd apply enough pressure to cut or snap the neck. Didn't have an axe on hand, and really didn't want to have to slit the neck and bleed her out. Honestly wasn't much different than cutting a tough branch... a little resistance and then a crack, and that was it.

Afterwards, it is most common for movement, sometimes a regular storm of movement. A lot of people are not ready for this, it is not life or the struggle of life or a shot or jolt of pain. It is just a neural discharge, but this does upset many people.
Ditto Dat!!

I use the broomstick method of CD for euthanizing a bird I'm not going to eat.
Cervical Dislocation is shown in this video at about 1:00,
Click the 'Watch this video on YouTube'
it's the only CD video I've found that doesn't remove the head.

-Notice the slight divot in the ground under the stick and neck, this will keep the bird from being choked.
-Notice that she slowly stretches out the neck and legs before giving the short sharp jerk that breaks the neck close to the skull, this is key to success IMO.

I've found this technique to be very effective.

I used the broomstick method to dispatch chickens. It may take a few tries to get it right, but I took comfort in the thought that after the first try the bird was unconscious.

The disconcerting thing is the intense flapping afterward. That bothered me less once I realized that the quicker and cleaner the severing of the spinal cord was the more intense the flapping was -- not the bird fighting for life but a signal that I had done the kill as mercifully as it could be done.

Well It is a decision that one does not make likely. It is considered a 'coup de grace' meaning that you give relief of living in pain.

As for what does it feel like, well that will depend on your tool. Sharp is much better, it also depends on your hand and arm strength. A small sharp ax, that you can fully control, smacked into a stump will really not feel any different with a chicken there. The blade is so sharp.

As for a knife - it too should be very sharp, but I have had trouble with the darn feathers getting in the way, and kind of preventing getting down to business, so to speak.

Another issue, is wrapping the bird or holding it tightly. A cone works well for this. Or a towel, or a bucket.

My first ones, I had someone else with me, no more experience than me, but we gave each other moral support

It is never easy, but it is doable. Each of us has to find a way that works best for us, our arm strength, our comfort. I truly do not believe that one method is more humane than others as long as it gets the job done quickly. I have tried several ways, and go back to a razor blade, and slit the juggler. They don't even flinch, and they just get tired. I have cut myself with a sharp blade and really there is very little pain with it. I can manage it by my self.

Mrs K
Thank you! The feathers are definitely something I'm concerned about. I don't want to be mid-cut and get hung up on some feathers. Do the feathers have to be moved for the ax or is that not necessary? I'm also wondering, how much force does it take to kill a chicken with an ax? I know it takes a good amount of force, but I am not that strong at all, so I'm wondering if it might be too hard for me or if it's easy enough anyone can really do it?

I use a pair of heavy kitchen shears. Imagine cutting through a thick piece of cardboard twice - like scissors open to close twice, that's about how long it takes if you really commit. It's less than a count of three from first cut to completely removing the head.

The first cut is like cutting through thick stretchy fabric, the second is like cutting through an old (weak) bug-eaten stick. That's because the first is going to get through the skin and soft tissue, and when making this cut I find it's better to let the scissors slide along to utilize the sharp blades more. The second cut requires a little bit more umph because you are going through bone and tendon but it's not super hard to do and there's a crunchy sound and feeling.

And then it's done. And the chicken kicks and shakes for a couple minutes as it bleeds out.

I think that's the most succinct and accurate description I could give.

Back
Top Bottom