What Feed? Pullets, Roosters, and Hens

Mike121

Chirping
Jul 21, 2019
North Texas
So I recently purchased 13 new pullets to add to my flock. Right now they're only a few weeks old so they're still in a separate pen to my "main" flock. The main flock is on layer pellets. The pullets are on starter pellets.

My question is, what do I do when I let the pullets out with the main flock? Is it better to go ahead and switch the pullets to layer pellets or revert the roosters and hens back to starter feed until the pullets start to lay then they'll all be on layer pellets?

Please keep in mind that keeping them separate until the pullets start to lay isn't an option for me. I don't have the space. Right now the pullets are in a pen that's inside the coop. I'll need to let them out of that pen, mixing them with the rest of the flock, in the next month or two or they'll get too crowded in there.

Rooster, laying hens, non-laying hens and chicks. They all eat a 20% "all flock" type of feed. Currently, fermented 22% broiler mash and dry crumble 18% starter/grower, 50/50 mix.

I just keep two containers of oyster shell on the side for the active layers and never have to worry about my flock composition or change feeds when the molt hits. Everyone is covered.

family portrait 2.jpg

I'd put everyone on an all flock with oyster shells available in a separate dish and keep them on that. Aside from the fact the pullets shouldn't be on layer feed until they start laying, your rooster doesn't need the extra calcium in layer feed and he could eventually have issues if fed layer feed. I would only move everyone to layer feed if and only if you have issues with several hens laying soft shell eggs despite having 24/7 access to oyster shells otherwise keep them on all flock

Hello! You should wait until the pullets are at least 13-15 weeks old before introducing them to the adult flock. They need to be big enough to fend for themselves. And young chickens should not be eating adult food until they are at least 5 months old. The calcium in the adult food is to much for young pullets for it can mess up their egg production in the future. If anyone else had any thoughts on this, don’t be afraid to say something! I hope this helps Mike121 ! 😁

^What they said. Layer feed is okay when you only have active layers, but there are far too many exceptions: males, chicks, hens not laying in winter, older hens that rarely lay, etc. Just go with some type of all-flock pellets + calcium on the side and you can use that for all of your chickens (except for chicks who need crumbles).

Hello! You should wait until the pullets are at least 13-15 weeks old before introducing them to the adult flock. They need to be big enough to fend for themselves. And young chickens should not be eating adult food until they are at least 5 months old. The calcium in the adult food is to much for young pullets for it can mess up their egg production in the future. If anyone else had any thoughts on this, don’t be afraid to say something! I hope this helps Mike121 ! 😁
Did you see the above picture? There are live CHICKS with a ROOSTER and fully grown HENS that are NOT the mother of the chicks!!! They are all just fine.

You do not need to wait to introduce pullets to the flock. They just need a proper integration with lots of resources.

I disagree with waiting until 13-15 weeks, it comes down to personal comfort level, but myself and many others have had success integrating far younger chicks. As long as you move slowly and remain vigilant you'll be fine, I started the integration process at 2 weeks with see but no touch visits with my older girls

Back
Top Bottom