What Greens do chickens like?

Pics
Hi again, I’m just wondering what fruit and veggies chickens like to eat. Mine are being a bit picky. We’ve given them lettuce, silver beet, spinach, carrots, cucumber, apple, broccolini and sweet corn and they don’t seem to want any of it. They are sometimes interested in the cucumber and occasionally peck at the spinach, but apart from that they don’t seem interested. We have, or had, a lot of greenery in the garden, but they’ve eaten most of it so we’re trying to supply them with extra. What other greens can we try?
Mine love love love turnip greens. Will eat dandelion greens also but crazy about turnip greens. I live in a hot arid location but was able to plant turnip roots in a well watered and partly shaded garden spot for fresh turnip greens,which lasted most of the growing season. Now that it's fall, I buy some at grocery stores occasionally, organic of course, tho it is more expensive. It's definitely one of their fav treats.

I'm a bit late I guess, but I've just joined and would like to help 🙂 I buy frozen mixed veggies that has green beans in there and they love that, also peas. You can thaw them first, or if it's hot it's a cool treat 😎🙂
i think I’ll start offering frozen veggies thawed out this winter. i now buy coleslaw by the bag and chop it all up. They like the purple cabbage bits and not a fan of carrots at all. They love broccoli hung in the run. Chickens wont eat the broccoli if I toss it in the run. I also grow Kale and prop it up or hang it so its like eating it off the stalk. Hanging veggies is a great way to offer them. veggies stay clean and I can easily recognize consumption. I also have large serving serving spoons like for soup hung up on hardware cloth in the run to put any food that I’d rather not have on the ground. The stainless spoons are very easy to clean as well. I actually have 5 different feeding stations for 5 hens. I like to make sure every hen gets her fair share without getting bullied. 🤷‍♀️🐓❤️

i think I’ll start offering frozen veggies thawed out this winter. i now buy coleslaw by the bag and chop it all up. They like the purple cabbage bits and not a fan of carrots at all. They love broccoli hung in the run. Chickens wont eat the broccoli if I toss it in the run. I also grow Kale and prop it up or hang it so its like eating it off the stalk. Hanging veggies is a great way to offer them. veggies stay clean and I can easily recognize consumption. I also have large serving serving spoons like for soup hung up on hardware cloth in the run to put any food that I’d rather not have on the ground. The stainless spoons are very easy to clean as well. I actually have 5 different feeding stations for 5 hens. I like to make sure every hen gets her fair share without getting bullied. 🤷‍♀️🐓❤️
Do you have a pic of the spoons? That would be helpful, but I can't picture how to hand them in my head.

Do you have a pic of the spoons? That would be helpful, but I can't picture how to hand them in my head.
i use zip ties to hang from the hardware cloth
IMG_9303.jpeg

Hi again, I’m just wondering what fruit and veggies chickens like to eat. Mine are being a bit picky. We’ve given them lettuce, silver beet, spinach, carrots, cucumber, apple, broccolini and sweet corn and they don’t seem to want any of it. They are sometimes interested in the cucumber and occasionally peck at the spinach, but apart from that they don’t seem interested. We have, or had, a lot of greenery in the garden, but they’ve eaten most of it so we’re trying to supply them with extra. What other greens can we try?
My chickens enjoy some of those things, and really love squash, but I haven't given them access to free range outside of their run.

Are you offering these to them while they range?
Maybe the garden tastes better, and has more bugs?

Where are you? Do you get winter?

Back
Top Bottom