What is on my hen hannah!

BethKimco

Songster
Sep 27, 2020
She has been broody the last two days, and I was gicing her a cool bath but I looked at her underbelly and saw this weird spot. 3/4 diam thick diameter. Lavender orpington. Any idea?

Attachments

• IMG_2558.jpeg
    IMG_2558.jpeg
    104.1 KB · Views: 69
Zoom out so we can get a better idea of it. ;)

It looks like it's just a callous from where she rubs against a perch, but it also looks like it might be infected? If it's a normal callous, she's fine. If it's infected, she'll need treatment.

I will try and get a better picture. She is a big girl and feisty and broody. I sprayed with vetrx yesterday.

Attachments

• IMG_2557.jpeg
    IMG_2557.jpeg
    383.1 KB · Views: 31
Look up breast blister, see if that's what it is. Hard to tell from the photos.

You are putting your broody in cool water? Are you trying to break her?

If you are trying to break her, place her in an elevated cage and turn a fan on to help cool her. Make sure she's got access to food/water.

Are you positive she's broody? Could she be sick instead?

yes she is broody. We dont have fertile eggs and too many chickens as it is. 😀 Clucking. And sitting in the nesting box. That is how i noticed the spot on her chest. Thanks for the advice. Im going to get a better picture.

It would be good to break her from being broody right away, so that she doesn’t become weak or sick. Some birds will turn broody often, and lose weight or become dehydrated and even die. It can take 5 days or longer inside a broody breaking dog crate or pen with no bedding. I use a large 6x8 pen outside on the ground, and put a roost in it. They will stay on a roost for a day or two. Once they start breaking, they will walk around and peck the ground. A breast blister or callous can be from rubbing against a rough roost or lying on damp ground or bedding for long periods.

It would be good to break her from being broody right away, so that she doesn’t become weak or sick. Some birds will turn broody often, and lose weight or become dehydrated and even die. It can take 5 days or longer inside a broody breaking dog crate or pen with no bedding. I use a large 6x8 pen outside on the ground, and put a roost in it. They will stay on a roost for a day or two. Once they start breaking, they will walk around and peck the ground. A breast blister or callous can be from rubbing against a rough roost or lying on damp ground or bedding for long periods.
Should I leave her in the broody pen overnight too but in the coop?

Back
Top Bottom