What is the best paint to use for chicken coop that won't harm my chickens ??

Polla Chickie

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 2, 2013
Souther California
We're just finishing building our chicken coop but I don't know what paint to use that won't harm my chickens? Should I paint the inside? What can I use to protect it from the rain ??

This is the inside of the coop, were building a run for them as well.

Just need to finish the door and window! :)

Since they don't sell lead based paint any more, anything is safe, as long as you let it cure well before the chickens move in. Gloss or semi gloss and outdoor paints will hold up best. Many people paint the inside because it's much easier and more effective to clean a painted surface than raw wood. Also, little critters (lice and mites) find it much harder to hide and lay eggs.

Ok great! I'm getting the paint today. Still don't know what colors.. Can't decide.. Either the red and white classic look or blue and white or a coral peach color with white frame...

Barn paint is quick, easy, and animal safe. I used Behr Barn Red from Home Depot and was quite happy with it, I also used Majic Barn White and while it was a little thinner it seems to be working okay.

A self priming paint will be the easiest way to go. Behr and others make self priming exterior paint. You can also use an exterior solid base stain or even a toner (semi transparent exterior stains in wood colors). A plethora of options but make sure it's exterior use and doesn't need a primer.

Toners are a one coat is finish, self priming paints and solid body stains are a two coats for finish. I like toners as it's a one coat and in years you can simply pressure wash it to clean and one coat it again like any fence or deck. Simple.

Last edited:
I'm so sad :( I went to Home Depot today and I finally decided on what colors to use... Peachy red color for the outside with white trim and the inside a light cream peach color :) ...but they didn't have one of the colors they needed to mix for my paint color. Now I have to wait... Hopefully Friday they will get new shipment.
[/IMG]

I disagree that anything is safe. I'm chemically sensitive and react more strongly to things others don't even notice. It's one of the reasons I'm unable to work.

The best paint I've ever used — and the only one I'll ever use — is Ecos Paints. It's mail order through a reputable, established company. They color match to anything you specify. During the checkout process just enter the brand name and color you want the paint matched to and that's what you'll get, perfectly matched.

For example, I ordered interior paint a few months ago for the interior of our home: Benjamin Moore's Simply White in semi gloss for the trim; and Benjamin Moore's Ballet White in flat for the walls.

https://www.ecospaints.net

It's non-toxic and is used in hospital rooms and animal shelters. Etsy uses it for their offices. (I love Etsy and had to mention that.) It's pricier, but think of paint as furniture. You're going to have it a long, long time. The investment is so worth it.

You can literally move your chickens in the day you paint, although personally I'd wait a day or two.

The zero VOC paints at Home Depot and Lowe's aren't true zero VOC paints. And you have more to worry about than just that. They are chemical based and they outgass, and should the paint flake for some reason, you don't want your chickens ingesting it.

But you're safe with Ecos.

And I wanted to add:

I lost my darling six month old hen Dune Buggy in September. I'm certain the just stained exterior of the chicken coop was the culprit. It was extremely hot, so I left the big window in the coop uncovered at night (just the hardware cloth). The next morning she was gasping for air, and she died the next day.

It's my belief the freshly applied stain triggered a pre-existing vulnerability, as the smallest hen in the flock. I feel she was predisposed to a poor respiratory response, just as I am.

And this was in response to Hemp Shield, a fantastic non-toxic stain tons of people use who are chemically sensitive and who care about earth friendly products.

Just a day later and the stain was noticeably "quieter" in smell. It's already something I can tolerate; the smell isn't overpowering at all. But for small animals it's always a good practice to let it cure for a few days before moving them into their home.

I disagree that anything is safe. I'm chemically sensitive and react more strongly to things others don't even notice. It's one of the reasons I'm unable to work.

The best paint I've ever used — and the only one I'll ever use — is Ecos Paints. It's mail order through a reputable, established company. They color match to anything you specify. During the checkout process just enter the brand name and color you want the paint matched to and that's what you'll get, perfectly matched.

For example, I ordered interior paint a few months ago for the interior of our home: Benjamin Moore's Simply White in semi gloss for the trim; and Benjamin Moore's Ballet White in flat for the walls.

https://www.ecospaints.net

It's non-toxic and is used in hospital rooms and animal shelters. Etsy uses it for their offices. (I love Etsy and had to mention that.) It's pricier, but think of paint as furniture. You're going to have it a long, long time. The investment is so worth it.

You can literally move your chickens in the day you paint, although personally I'd wait a day or two.

The zero VOC paints at Home Depot and Lowe's aren't true zero VOC paints. And you have more to worry about than just that. They are chemical based and they outgass, and should the paint flake for some reason, you don't want your chickens ingesting it.

But you're safe with Ecos.

I just requested some color chips based on your recommendation

Back
Top Bottom