Apr 25, 2021
Hi all,
I need to get some partners for my tom, but what breed(s) of turkeys are the best layers? I really want to get either Bronzes, Narragansets and Slates, but what do you all think is the best breed for egg laying? That's what I'm going off of. Egg laying ability.
Just please don't say Bourbon Reds, I've always that's one breed I'm not going to get because they're just so popular. :idunno😶

Thanks in advance!

Hi all,
I need to get some partners for my tom, but what breed(s) of turkeys are the best layers? I really want to get either Bronzes, Narragansets and Slates, but what do you all think is the best breed for egg laying? That's what I'm going off of. Egg laying ability.
Just please don't say Bourbon Reds, I've always that's one breed I'm not going to get because they're just so popular. :idunno😶

Thanks in advance!
All domestic turkeys are the breed Turkey.

You can use the Turkey Color Calculator at Porter's Rare Heritage Turkeys to figure out what varieties using your tom with the other varieties of hens will produce.

I have not noticed any difference in egg laying ability among the different varieties that I have had. One similar thread had people claiming that Midget Whites were superior egg layers. Turkeys are seasonal layers and normally are able to lay from spring to fall.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Thanks in advance!
I have and have had many different varieties of heritage turkeys and haven't noticed any difference in laying ability or number of eggs per laying season. As long as you keep collecting eggs and can keep them from going broody they will lay from early spring until fall as @R2elk stated. I have not had Midget Whites so have no input on them.

All domestic turkeys are the breed Turkey.

You can use the Turkey Color Calculator at Porter's ?Rare Heritage Turkeys to figure out what varieties using your tom with the other varieties of hens will produce.

I have not noticed any difference in egg laying ability among the different varieties that I have had. One similar thread had people claiming that Midget Whites were superior egg layers. Turkeys are seasonal layers and normally are able to lay from spring to fall.
I have and have had many different varieties of heritage turkeys and haven't noticed any difference in laying ability or number of eggs per laying season. As long as you keep collecting eggs and can keep them from going broody they will lay from early spring until fall as @R2elk stated. I have not had Midget Whites so have no input on them.
Thank you both!
That helped a lot! :D

Back
Top Bottom