What is the best way to paint a coop?

Zahboo

Simply Stated
10 Years
Feb 3, 2009
Hope Mills, NC
I have a 8x8x7 coop. Tin roof, OSB & wire sides. Inside of the coop is a loft that has the quail cage and pigeon loft. The question I have is I want everything painted, including the wire. What's best way to paint it? I didn't know if just paint it with rollers and spray paint the wire or what. Also any color ideas? I want it to kind of blend in, not stand out. It's behind our light blue house, but I don't like that color. Any ideas?

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
We sprayed ours too!!! SOOOOO simple!

Wire is difficult but I'd probably use a roller. Hopefully less waste that way. A spray gun would waste a lot.

As far as blending in, I painted my coop a dark green and it blends in well. Color is a personal preference and "blending in" will depend on what is around it. My background was green to begin with.

Our coop is inside a chainlink fence with a field behind it that has either corn or soy beans in it depending on the year

Use a roller for the wire... you will waste WAY less paint, and avoid getting overspray on everything for yards around. Mind, any kind of paint on that wire will start to flake off after not too long, but, you can always redo it when it gets too bothersome-looking
smile.png

For the coop itself, a sprayer is faster but a roller or even brush work perfectly well too. For OSB you would want a fairly heavy-nap roller, and plan on it using up considerably more paint than an equivalent surface area of smooth surface would. PRIME FIRST! It really makes the paint last longer, and repainting is a very obnoxious job (not the actual repainting so much as the preparation for it, getting all the old slightly-loose paint off)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Quote:
Get someone else to do it!
gig.gif

Seriously, do deep nap roller and use a medium gray or taupe color.
wink.png
They are neutral earth-shades of color and go well with anything.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom