What is this growth?

Sorry if the pictures are not that clear, my Android. Tried to crop for a closer look. Anyway, she has stopped laying eggs for about three weeks now, was very lethargic when we got our first heat wave about two weeks ago, had not eaten for a few days, evidence from her same roosting position, but is drinking. She has eaten some watermelon, and evidently eats lightly, as I see she is still walking around because I expected her to pass last week. (her croup is not full, just kind of mushy) She goes out with the rest of the flock, but is very slow. I have not felt any bound egg, she does not walk like she is bound. Like I said, I was going to cull her, then felt she was going to pass, but has not. the growth is larger three weeks later however. (I left for a week and came back to her still alive) She does not chase after the young pullets, which is a 180 degree turn around in her personality. Should I be concerned about pocks, sour croup or leave her alone, or cull? I realize it is a personal choice. But I am thinking financially. Sorry not sorry....

Attachments

• IMG_20240601_155650505.jpg
    IMG_20240601_155650505.jpg
    305.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20240601_155310509.jpg
    IMG_20240601_155310509.jpg
    679 KB · Views: 8
  • 5n1r7lac.png
    5n1r7lac.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
It may be an injury from a sharp feeder or sticking her beak through wire fencing/chicken wire if she was chased. But fowl pox might be a problem, and that is a short lived virus from mosquitoes. A tumor might be the third possibility. Are the white spots on her comb possibly other fowl pox spots? Hens will take breaks from laying at various times, especially with hot temps, when molting, or in winter. I would offer some moistened fresh chicken feed and scrambled egg for interest. Offer cool shaded water in multiple spots, so she doesn’t get dehydrated. Is her crop empty first thing in the morning? Has she lost weight or does she have any enlargement in her lower belly under her vent?

It may be an injury from a sharp feeder or sticking her beak through wire fencing/chicken wire if she was chased. But fowl pox might be a problem, and that is a short lived virus from mosquitoes. A tumor might be the third possibility. Are the white spots on her comb possibly other fowl pox spots? Hens will take breaks from laying at various times, especially with hot temps, when molting, or in winter. I would offer some moistened fresh chicken feed and scrambled egg for interest. Offer cool shaded water in multiple spots, so she doesn’t get dehydrated. Is her crop empty first thing in the morning? Has she lost weight or does she have any enlargement in her lower belly under her vent?
thanks for your response, I'll get back to you tomorrow, Thursday am with those answers

Here is a late response, sorry, to your questions. Her growth is larger, she's getting around, her crop is not full, ever, and she has lost a lot of weight but continues to walk around with the others while free ranging. No enlargements in lower belly or vent. Conundrum....

Back
Top Bottom