What is wrong with my turkey?

Anne_

Chirping
Dec 16, 2021
My male turkey still eats and drinks but he doesn’t gobble or strut anymore and his one eye is always closed. He also stand on one foot lots of times. Could he maybe just be old? I’m not sure how old he was when I got him. I got him a year ago fully grown.

Attachments

• C67334C1-EE6F-4E22-A6DA-C57BD643A248.jpeg
    C67334C1-EE6F-4E22-A6DA-C57BD643A248.jpeg
    652.5 KB · Views: 41
My male turkey still eats and drinks but he doesn’t gobble or strut anymore and his one eye is always closed. He also stand on one foot lots of times. Could he maybe just be old? I’m not sure how old he was when I got him. I got him a year ago fully grown.
How hot is it there and is this your only turkey?

What's his diet? Have you checked him for injury?
He eats the same thing my hens eat. 17% Layer feed and scratch grains. He doesn’t seem to be injured that I can tell I can’t get super close to him. I can just pet him for one second and he leaves I got him a year ago and he was fully grown so not even sure how old he is.

He eats the same thing my hens eat. 17% Layer feed and scratch grains. He doesn’t seem to be injured that I can tell I can’t get super close to him. I can just pet him for one second and he leaves I got him a year ago and he was fully grown so not even sure how old he is.
Layer feed is not good for male turkeys. The high calcium levels can cause kidney damage. It also does not have the higher levels of lysine and methionine that is good for turkeys.

I feed all of my poultry, except chicks and poults, a 20% protein all flock feed with free choice oyster shell.

Layer feed is not good for male turkeys. The high calcium levels can cause kidney damage. It also does not have the higher levels of lysine and methionine that is good for turkeys.

I feed all of my poultry, except chicks and poults, a 20% protein all flock feed with free choice oyster shell.
They all live together and share the same coop and run. So my laying hens can also eat the 20% protein all flock feed as well?

Mine do. You have to give free choice oyster shell so the laying hens can get the extra calcium they need.
I have oyster shell
I wonder if my turkey can come back from the possible damage to his kidneys if I switch feed now or if it’s too late

Back
Top Bottom