What Kind of Girls are these? (Help ID'ing pls)

NameIwish

Chirping
Jan 27, 2023
Now, I did try online w/o success - did not find an easy way to id these two new (to us) birds we bought cheap at a flea market.
New 240330 Hens (1).JPG
New 240330 Hens (2).JPG
New 240330 Hens (3).JPG
So, I thought to take three pictures and post them here on the chance someone would look and exclaim "I know that there bird well!"

Then post a response sharing whatever these birds are called with their new owner. The reliably lay a nice tan egg not small nor Jumbo and are gentle, follow one about. One readily allows me to catch her up to move her when needed - the other demands the net.

The woman that sold them to us ($12) for the pair and may have told us the breed, but I was distracted by a lady selling puppies - at least one of which they had given my name! The pups were five hundred each, so we took not a one home.

Thank you for lookin!

My first thought when I saw these was Welsummer, but when you said their egg color, then that must be wrong. Welsummers lay chocolate to dark speckled eggs. A Brown Leghorn is another idea, but again, wrong egg color. They lay white eggs. They're definitely a B.B.Red color, but of breed, I'm not entirely sure. Hopefully someone will respond who will know.

Tagging @NatJ

My first thought when I saw these was Welsummer, They're definitely a B.B.Red color, but of breed, I'm not entirely sure. Hopefully someone will respond who will know.
Right, we can but hope - thanks for the feedback. Don't forget, National Pinhole Camera Day (last Sunday in April) is fast approaching - very difficult to shoot a duck with a pinhole camera, though.

They do look like Welsummers. Are their eggs speckled? My two sometimes lay a light speckled egg, but most of the time they’re quite dark.

My first thought when I saw these was Welsummer, but when you said their egg color, then that must be wrong. Welsummers lay chocolate to dark speckled eggs. A Brown Leghorn is another idea, but again, wrong egg color. They lay white eggs. They're definitely a B.B.Red color, but of breed, I'm not entirely sure. Hopefully someone will respond who will know.

Tagging @NatJ
I feel that they do not look quite right for Welsummers or Brown leghorns, or any of the Black Breasted Red types. The breast is not salmon-colored, and the feathers on the back do not have much black stippling in them (Black Breasted Red chickens generally have both of those traits.) Or to put it another way, to me they look too RED to be any of those. (There is always a possibility that the colors on my screen are different than the colors on the actual chickens. Since my ideas are based on what I see, if I see the colors wrong, that would cause my ideas to be wrong too.)

If I had to guess, probably one of the hatchery hybrid types that lay brown eggs. Not the usual Red Sexlinks (because those usually have white tails and white in the hackles), not a Production Red (because those usually have a more even color, without the gold in the hackles.) I can't immediately think of the right name for any specific hybrid, but it seems like the options expand every year, so there tend to be plenty of choices.

Or maybe a Starlight Green Egger that actually lays brown eggs? The birds come in various colors and patterns but mostly browns. They are marketed as laying green eggs, but the hatchery has a note that about 5% of them will lay brown eggs. If someone had a flock laying green eggs, and these two were laying brown, that might be a reason for the person to get rid of these ones.
https://www.hoovershatchery.com/starlightgreenegger.html

They do look like Welsummers. Are their eggs speckled? My two sometimes lay a light speckled egg, but most of the time they’re quite dark.
"lay a light speckled egg"
No, they seem to lay a middle of the range or tan egg, darker than some, lighter than some others but definitely NOT Hershey Bar Chocolate or even close.
Thanks for the FB

Back
Top Bottom