What may cause this problem with my hen?

featherhead007

Wrangler
Premium Feather Member
7 Years
Feb 2, 2017
San Joaquin Valley CA.
Bare butt. Seen when I bathed her
Very red and swollen. Tummy also swollen. She's eating and drinking, but the other birds are pecking at her tender bare bottom. I have just recently acquired her and 6 others. I'm wondering what to do.

You could separate her in a wire cage with food/water, putting the cage in the coop ... She remains part of the flock & not having to intergrate later. You could also Blu-Note her bare butt to cover up the redness, Vetricyn would help the healing and as Eggcessive requested, a picture of her belly is also needed.

I went back to the farm, checked on BeeBees my hen. She's eating and drinking ok.
Pretty sore bottom I guess.
I'm not seeing any eggs from her, or the other newhampshire red either. It's been very hot in the Central Valley CA. Lately.
Wow medications for chickens co$ts a lot! But the birds are worth it.

Can we see a picture? Vetericyn is way overpriced. There are other brands similar for less. I would just get a bottle of Hibiclens (chlorhexidene) for $6 at Walmart, and mix it 1:1 with water. They also sell povidone iodine (Equate brand) for $6.

Thank you Eggcessive. Great advice. I'm using my phone for communication and can't seem to transfer photos to BYC. She's got a big featherless red bottom. I didn't see any prolapse. But the area is swollen. Usually she had feathers covering that area. Belly feels squishy. And she has diarrhea. And white discharge
"Squirts"

Back
Top Bottom