Kentucky
I'm currently managing a flock of:
-meat birds
-layers
-chicks 3 weeks to 1 month old
-guineas 1 month old
-juvenile guineas 3-4 months old
-Ducks

I'm not sure what protein percentage to feed them, I've had the local feed stores suggest to feed a 20% flock raiser but I've also had local bird raisers say that not all my birds should have a percentage so high because it causes "Angel wings". Is this true or should/could I feed a 20% ration to all my birds?

Last edited:
I forgot to mention I had ducks, I had never heard of such a thing as Angel Wing before I spoke to a breeder at a local swap we attended a few weeks ago, and its time to buy food again and I was so unsure of what to get

-meat birds
-layers
-chicks 3 weeks to 1 month old
-guineas 1 month old
-juvenile guineas 3-4 months old
-Ducks

You have quite a mix there. I’m not sure if your meat birds are Cornish X, Rangers, or dual purpose cockerels you are growing out. That could make a difference. How much they forage or what “treats” or supplements you feed can make a difference too for all your birds, not just the meat birds.

Young guineas need a pretty high protein feed when younger but eventually they can eat a lower protein feed. Supposedly at 4 months is when that protein level can be cut.

It is generally recommended that about 4 weeks of age you take chicks that will become a laying flock off of high protein Starter and switch to a lower protein Grower, maybe 16%. Some feeds recommend 8 weeks but some go with 4 weeks. That cut-off is not rigid.

My understanding of angel wing in ducks is that the problems occurs when they are growing. The joint does not grow correctly. Once they have finished growing their skeleton a bit higher protein level or some extra calcium should not cause a problem.

I understand many people believe you need to cram all the protein you can into out birds. They think you are being cruel if you don’t feed high protein levels. I’m not one of those. There are special circumstances when a higher protein level is called for, raising show birds for example, but the vast majority of birds do very well on a diet that is about 16% protein. That included guineas, ducks, and chickens once they reach a certain age.

I don’t know how you are set up as far as housing or how much they forage or get treats. With you mix you may need special housing for the guineas, chicks, and future ducklings until they get to be a certain age so you can feed them separately. Then there are the meat birds, whatever they are. But if I had your flock I’d be feeding all the others a 16% protein feed that is not Layer and offer oyster shell on the side.

The meat birds are Cornish Rocks, they are 6 weeks old. I recently built them a seperate pen from the other birds to spend the days in.
My 3-4 month old guineas are in the pen with my ducks and chickens. I let my chickens out every morning to free range and let them back in in the evenings. I feed the ducks and guineas in the morning a fermented mixture of whole corn (a recent add for the cooling weather and cold nights) and was feeding a 16% protein, now a 20% ration as thats what I picked up yesterday. I feed again in the evenings.
I don't give many treats, some bird seed every now and then and occasional left over foods.
My younger guineas are in their own coop, as well as all of my chicks. I feed them just crumbles, grit, scrambled eggs. I dry all my shells, crush them and give them to my older birds.
My ducks are all grown so thats good to know about Angel Wings if I ever start raising ducklings.
I believe your right about having to feed separate foods/percentages. Next time I buy food I will need to buy some 16% and some 20%. I had read and heard so much about the "more protein the better" and so many people are 1 way and some another, I didn't know what would be best for my flock.

Back
Top Bottom