WHAT YA GOT SWAP Chat Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just looked on eBay. It was twenty two dollars for six shipping eggs. But the one under was 10+ for $18.95. Maybe a difference in quality or something? Hmm. I just need to get a new rooster. The rooster I have is mean

I just looked on eBay. It was twenty two dollars for six shipping eggs. But the one under was 10+ for $18.95. Maybe a difference in quality or something? Hmm. I just need to get a new rooster. The rooster I have is mean

Not sure where you live but if it's in the US try your local , craigslist you can put an ad in there for free. You may have to pay like $10 to $20 for one, but you never know

Freshly made batches of wild violet jelly, dandelion jelly and pickled ramps if anyone is interested in side swaps!

I just have to ask, what does dandelion jelly taste like and is it a clear sun yellow or cloudy yellow?

What do you do with ramps?

I heard from a family member about pine spruce jelly using the light green new growth from pine trees. I might try making it this year.

Last year I made highbush cranberry jelly. It was very earthy tasting, reminded me of lamb. With a slight musky flavor.

I eat it on just about everything. To me and my kids it tastes like honey, but with a slight floral taste. It is a beautiful clear sunny yellow. Ramps are wild onions/leeks. Most cook with them. Our family favorite is just fried with potatoes. They can be strong so a little goes a long way.

She isn't kidding about ramps being strong. Growing up I had a horse that absolutely loved them in the spring and cleaning tack with wild onion foam was quite an experience. :) However, I bet they would be absolutely yummy with fried potatoes. I might have to go get some from the back pasture (no chemicals on it for 20 years) and slip a little in. I just can't tell the DH and kids.

I eat it on just about everything. To me and my kids it tastes like honey, but with a slight floral taste. It is a beautiful clear sunny yellow. Ramps are wild onions/leeks. Most cook with them. Our family favorite is just fried with potatoes. They can be strong so a little goes a long way.

My parents made dandelion wine once. It reminded me of sunshine in a bottle!! I will have to tray making some this spring/ summer.

My dad and I were just talking about ramps, i looked up on the internet what they looked like and realized it's the plant the is all over my back property. at least I think it is, can't wait for things to start growing around here so I can verify.

She isn't kidding about ramps being strong. Growing up I had a horse that absolutely loved them in the spring and cleaning tack with wild onion foam was quite an experience.
smile.png
However, I bet they would be absolutely yummy with fried potatoes. I might have to go get some from the back pasture (no chemicals on it for 20 years) and slip a little in. I just can't tell the DH and kids.

You just gave me a great idea for lunch. I have plenty of potatoes. The kids love them fried, so might as well go ahead and cook some up.

Ramps are easy to tell what they are. All you have to do is pull some up. They will look like green onions only with broader green tops. A white bulb on the bottom with a root system. Then, just smell it. It is unmistakable. I don't wait for them to pop up to full size. I dig the little tender young ones. They are divine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom