Whatcha Making for Supper?

I decided to go a step farther with the stewed tomatoes I made.

I boned out 3 giant chicken breast halves I got on sale a couple days ago. Scooped 2 cups of the stewed tomatoes into a Pyrex baking dish and layered the chicken on it. Salted the breast meat, then topped with another cup or two of the stewed tomatoes.

I'm baking it at 400F for a while, then I'll drop it down to 300F until the tomato juice reduces. I don't know if it's an actual recipe, just something I came up with on the fly.

And I have a lot of meaty bones to make stock with someday.

IMG_4806.JPG

I decided to go a step farther with the stewed tomatoes I made.

I boned out 3 giant chicken breast halves I got on sale a couple days ago. Scooped 2 cups of the stewed tomatoes into a Pyrex baking dish and layered the chicken on it. Salted the breast meat, then topped with another cup or two of the stewed tomatoes.

I'm baking it at 400F for a while, then I'll drop it down to 300F until the tomato juice reduces. I don't know if it's an actual recipe, just something I came up with on the fly.

And I have a lot of meaty bones to make stock with someday.

View attachment 3938467
Looks delicious! It is similar to chicken cacciatore, less the bell peppers. I wouldn't cook the chicken breast too long or it will dry out. I would maybe reduce the tomato juice first, or just let that go and use a slotted spoon to serve.

I've been in the mood for chicken cacciatore lately. Might make that soon myself.

Looks delicious! It is similar to chicken cacciatore, less the bell peppers. I wouldn't cook the chicken breast too long or it will dry out. I would maybe reduce the tomato juice first, or just let that go and use a slotted spoon to serve.

I've been in the mood for chicken cacciatore lately. Might make that soon myself.
Well darn, I have a lot of big bell peppers in the garden. That would've have made it better. Next time I'll include them, and use tomato sauce instead of runny stewed tomatoes.

It tasted really good. I knew the chicken would be overcooked, but the chicken juice added flavor to the broth.

It's tender enough to mash down with a fork, and covering it with the broth makes it juicy again. I'll have some again for supper, and have 4 meals worth left over.

IMG_4807.JPG IMG_4808.JPG

Well darn, I have a lot of big bell peppers in the garden. That would've have made it better. Next time I'll include them, and use tomato sauce instead of runny stewed tomatoes.

It tasted really good. I knew the chicken would be overcooked, but the chicken juice added flavor to the broth.

It's tender enough to mash down with a fork, and covering it with the broth makes it juicy again. I'll have some again for supper, and have 4 meals worth left over.

View attachment 3938555View attachment 3938556
I actually use either whole or diced tomatoes in their juice but that’s the way I like mine. If I use a sauce or turn it into one then I throw on some mozzarella and Parmesan and call it chicken Parmesan. lol

I have some home canned diced tomatoes so I will make this soon now that you have inspired me.

I actually use either whole or diced tomatoes in their juice but that’s the way I like mine. If I use a sauce or turn it into one then I throw on some mozzarella and Parmesan and call it chicken Parmesan. lol

I have some home canned diced tomatoes so I will make this soon now that you have inspired me.
My goal was to have the cooked chicken nestled in a thick tomatoey sauce, and that's why I cooked it so long at too high a temp. I left the oven at 400F for two full hours.

And thanks for letting me know I made (almost) chicken cacciatore! I still have three of those big chicken breasts in the freezer for my next attempt.

I'll make it when I get my first batch of tomato sauce processed. And yes, I'll be topping it with Parmesan cheese. That sounds good! And more garlic. I used only three cloves this time.

Back
Top Bottom