Whats The Chance Of Getting a Rooster Out of Three Chicks?

Peep-Chicken

Crowing
10 Years
Jun 10, 2013
Michigan
This may seem like a stupid question (witch it is) but im only able to get three more bantam chicks and I really want a roo! We are ordering them. If I did ever get a roo, is there a way to have them not crow as much? Our neighbors would probably kill the roo. Thx!

(I have a roo but I would really like a bantam roo.)

Last edited:
Are they supposed to be sexed? I believe most hatcheries don't sex bantams, so your chances should be pretty good.

There is a vet in somewhere in Arizona who is doing a surgical procedure to stop crowing. Other than surgery, there isn't much you can do about crowing. Some people keep them in a relatively soundproof area early in the morning. You could try talking to your neighbors (or offering eggs.) Personally, I love to hear a rooster crow, and because I enjoy it, it does not wake me up. And having lived in a big citiy for several years, I promise you that they are quieter than that noise. They are often not even as loud as a barking dog.

Crows from bantam roosters can be far, far more irritating than the large breeds. As a former owner of far more bantam cockerels and roosters than I care to think about, I find the sound grating, and the mellow crow of large breeds resonant and nice.

If your neighbor isn't going to like roosters, owning a bantie is going to make them go ballistic. And only the noisiest cities are going to drown that piercing screech out.

Chances are good than at least one will be a roo. Despite their not being sexed, I am still suspicious. Out of 10 chicks, I got 3 pullets.

Last edited:
I just went outside and 4 out of 5 of the 'sexed' EE bantams (well, they're 'suppose' to be Ameraucanas) were crowing...lol I could tell 2 were roosters, 1 is a definite hen but the other 2 surprised me! Mine actually sound EXACTLY like the Crested Polish roosters that are a month older, I wonder if they sound the same because they are mimicking the older guys? I had to sit and watch them to make sure it was really them crowing...it was :( It also surprised me that they are already crowing at less than 3 months old because the older roosters didn't start until almost 4 months.

I wish we were closer, I would give you a guaranteed rooster! :)

I do have some body to give any roos to. Spice is almost a year and a 1/. A definite roo. Iim just gonna get a definite female chick order, Id rather not get my neighbors teed off and if Spice ever crows, we have a nice home for him. Thanks all!

Back
Top Bottom