When do Runner ducklings molt or start getting their teenage feathers? Is it earlier than other bree

Madelennon

Chirping
Feb 23, 2015
Haslet,Texas
When do Runner ducklings molt or start getting their teenage feathers? Is it earlier than other breeds? My runner ducklings are starting to get what looks like feathers on their tail and wings. They are two weeks. This is normal right? The brooder is the right temp. They don't have mites. They aren't picking on each other. They seem happy and content. I just thought this would happen a little later. Haha. Does anyone have any pictures of their Runners in this stage so that I can make sure it's not something else? TIA!!!
smile.png

I don't think runner ducks fill out faster than some other ducks such as the Pekin who can reach full market weight at eight weeks. I don't have pictures of runners in this stage yet because I haven't gotten my ducklings yet.

Your runners sound fine. At two weeks I should hope they're starting to get their feathers. The tail feathers and wing feathers seem to develop first, at least they did with mine. Their baby down also seemed to thin around their tail and wings first, and on the back of the neck for one of my cayugas. My runner duckling actually seemed to develop a little slower than the rest of my other non-runners, but that could just be her.

Here's a pic of my runner just under two weeks:

Here she is at just over two weeks:

And here she is at about three weeks:

PS: Those last two pics are out little secret. My fiancé wouldn't be happy because it ruins his tough guy rep, lol

Those last two are extremely adorable. What color did you get? I'm getting penciled and maybe some other colors.

Duckasaurus is a fawn and white, and I'm getting a chocolate runner (which I'm going to name Pteroducktyl!) duckling in my order that should be here next week. I'm not sure what penciled looks like.

Here is Duckasaurus now at almost six weeks old:

Last edited:
They're like the Fawn and White but they have black heads and black tails. Fawn and whites have fawn heads and fawn tails. I'm hoping to be able to get blue duskies, Saxony, or silvers.
This is an example of a drake from the place I'm getting them from Holderead.

Ah I see. I guess I thought that's how the male fawn and whites looked, with dark heads. Blue dusky sounds like it would be just gorgeous! I almost chose to get a blue runner instead of the chocolate, but decided not to since I was already getting a blue Swedish. I want as many colors as possible in my flock.

Back
Top Bottom