When does chick development start

Back40chick

Songster
Jul 3, 2024
It was my first try hatching eggs, using a Broody hen to incubate. I have two chicks doing nicely in the run with it's mother. Next time, when a hen goes Broodie, is it best to put eggs under her that have the same laying date, or does development begin when they are placed under the hen (or put in an incubator)?

Whenever they get to 99.5 degrees. That's why when getting shipped eggs in the middle of summer I advise against letting them rest in the air conditioning for a day. I believe that if the embryo starts development in shipping due to heat it will kill the embryo sitting in 70 degree air conditioning before setting them.

When incubation starts. A hen can hide a nest, lay eggs for two weeks to get a clutch before she starts incubating them. The eggs will all hatch about the same time.

The ideal conditions to store eggs to hatch is about 55 degrees Fahrenheit (13 C), in high humidity, out of direct sunlight or a breeze. Either store them on end with the pointy side down or lay them flat. If you store them longer than a couple of days turn them about three times a day to keep the yolk from settling.

Under ideal conditions they can easily last two weeks but I don't have ideal conditions so I only keep them a week before I start them. I keep them at room temperature in a dresser drawer in a spare bedroom to keep them away from a dog. A few times I've marked them by lay date to see if there is any difference in them hatching, either hatching early or late or hatching at all. There was no difference.

Thanks. This is great info. I let my hen incubate them. She has the chicks with her in the coop. Thankfully, the rooster is not bothering them. Is there any sign when a hen will go broody? I have read that different breeds have different schedules. I read that Leghorns are bred to not get broody. Since my hen is a mix, I lucked out with her sitting on eggs

Thankfully, the rooster is not bothering them.
As I would expect. With living animals you never get guarantees but the danger is much more likely to come from the other hens or from immature cockerels. A mature rooster should see the chicks as his babies and is much more likely to protect them than harm them. I have yet to see a mature rooster threaten young chicks. I have had roosters help Mama take care of the chicks especially when she needs help. I've had several that ignore the chicks. I have never seen a rooster harm a young chick.

Is there any sign when a hen will go broody?
None that I know of until she actually does.

I have read that different breeds have different schedules. I read that Leghorns are bred to not get broody. Since my hen is a mix, I lucked out with her sitting on eggs
Some breeds are more likely to go broody than others due to selective breeding. Rhode Island Reds or Leghorns are bred to not go broody very often. Orpington or Silkies tend to go broody a lot. You can still get a Rhode Island Red or Leghorn that goes broody and they can make great mothers, but that should be pretty rare. Not all Orpington or Silkies will go broody but a lot do. It depends on what traits the breeder wants to breed for or against.

My little chicks are still doing well. Milli and Monty are being good parents. I have no experience with chicks. I let Milli incubate the eggs. So I am watching the natural cycle

Attachments

• PXL_20240715_181225299.jpg
    PXL_20240715_181225299.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom