When should we give up on egg hatching?

robyn8

Songster
Mar 21, 2016
Dexter, Michigan
Our first broody hatched 2 of her 4 eggs Monday and then another one today (or late last night). When should we give up on the 4th egg and remove it? I haven't touched it or candled it. Mama is still sitting on it and I'm hoping she'll give up soon and start eating better.

On day 22, I pull all the unhatched eggs and break them open and assess the contents.

The only reason not to do this on day 22, but to wait a couple more days, is if you suspect the broody laid a few more eggs after beginning incubation. Then there would be reason to believe there could be a staggered hatch.

I have a broody sitting on eggs right now. I collected the fertilized eggs myself, held them back, then when my broody began sitting the nest in earnest, I then gave her all the eggs. This is how I know all the eggs will hatch on the 21st day. There's no reason to wait any longer for any remaining eggs to hatch.

If there's any doubt in your mind as to the viability of your unhatched eggs, pick each up and listen. There should be audible peeping. You can also candle them to see if there's movement.

On day 22, I pull all the unhatched eggs and break them open and assess the contents.

The only reason not to do this on day 22, but to wait a couple more days, is if you suspect the broody laid a few more eggs after beginning incubation. Then there would be reason to believe there could be a staggered hatch.

I have a broody sitting on eggs right now. I collected the fertilized eggs myself, held them back, then when my broody began sitting the nest in earnest, I then gave her all the eggs. This is how I know all the eggs will hatch on the 21st day. There's no reason to wait any longer for any remaining eggs to hatch.

If there's any doubt in your mind as to the viability of your unhatched eggs, pick each up and listen. There should be audible peeping. You can also candle them to see if there's movement.

Thank you for your comments!! I'm sure she had the last egg by Wednesday that week at the latest. So I guess we'll take a listen on Thursday and candle it as well if we don't hear anything. This has been quite the fun experience! Broody mama has done such a great job and seeing those chicks peek out under her is seriously adorable.

I would just wait....The Hen knows better than we do...If she is still setting? She is doing it for a reason...If she abandons the egg then she is done....I never interfere with my Hens natural process in hatching...She won't starve ....:)

Best wishes....:)

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom