Where exactly is the jugular?

SomeChickinTN

Songster
Nov 19, 2018
E TN
I'm thinking of processing a few chickens for the first time this weekend, and I'm leaning towards using a cone. I've been trying to watch YouTube videos, but idk if the videos are censored or if I am using the wrong search terms, because there aren't many videos....

I'm gathering that you want to cut above the (upside down) ear, and you want to do it hard enough to hit the vein, but not hard enough to cut the wind pipe? And how long does it take to bleed out before you can scald them? Would it be easier to put them in the cone and just cut the head off?
I have no idea which method I'll prefer, I just don't want to screw up.

What about the first method listed in this article, would this method release the adrenaline into the body: https://the-chicken-chick.com/how-to-humanely-euthanize-chicken-by-dr/

Considering raising rabbits for meat this year and a similar method was recommended for clean slaughter.

That is an advanced technique. I use the sticking method for my chickens. Beheading is the quickest and most newbie friendly way of dispatching a bird. They flap like crazy though.

We use the cone to calm and restrain them and then decapitate them with extremely sharp tree loppers - quick and clean. They do go through the death throws but they are typically contained with the right size cone and, if you want to be sure, a bungee across the top. Do what you feel you can do well so that there is no unnecessary suffering on the part of the animal. You will also "feel better" too.

We use the cone to calm and restrain them and then decapitate them with extremely sharp tree loppers - quick and clean. They do go through the death throws but they are typically contained with the right size cone and, if you want to be sure, a bungee across the top. Do what you feel you can do well so that there is no unnecessary suffering on the part of the animal. You will also "feel better" too.
Did you try different methods before you settled on one? I'm leaning towards a cone, but maybe trying the loppers instead of slicing. It seems to me that cutting the head off is more fool proof than possibly screwing up the vein. But I am worried about losing control of the bird trying to lay it down and cut it's head off. So I could put it in the cone and use the loppers and let it bleed out there, right?

there is a video here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/where-is-the-jugular-vein-and-carotid-artery.883355/

I'm right handed. Generally I have someone else to hold the birds legs. While it's upside down I have the chin toward me. Left hand holding their head comb kinda sits in the middle knuckles of my hand, and thumb across the bottom of their beak/chin. I put the knife just under their jaw bone on both my, and the birds left. And use as much pressure as I can to cut. Depending on the breed it may take 2 goes with the knife. some have thicker skin, some have more feathers that mess with the knife. there should be a steady stream of blood. There's a lot less blood than I originally expected. Myself I only cut the one side, because every time I've tried doing both I've ended up cutting myself.

Before you cut do a double check your fingers where are they? Do your best not to cut yourself. Your face, and shoes how close are you? You should be about 2 feet away, or more if you can, to avoid getting blood on you.

If you have to do it on your own it is possible. Once you have them in the cone, hold their legs with one hand have the knife in your pocket or within reach. use your other hand (if you're right handed preferably use your left to hold their head so you don't have to switch) to pull them down and stretch their neck down. Hold on to their legs and head until they're calm. Cover their eyes if you can, it helps them settle faster.

Once their calm let go of their legs and hang on to them in case they try to back out. Get your knife with your free hand. And kill them as quickly as you can. Once they're bleeding there is usually about 30 - 60 seconds before the death throes start. In that gap of time you can grab their legs again. Which both keeps the bird from backing out of the cone, and from damaging itself.

Some birds actually don't kick that much, some kick for far longer than you expect.

What I watch for, for the end of the kicking is the neck feathers will stand on end, there's usually one more kick after that, and then the body will fully relax.

Back
Top Bottom