Where exactly is the jugular?

I used the loppers at first too... less hands on ... they have to be sharp.. I now use pipe cutters to remove the head. usually a piece of skin holds it on. I use a kitty litter jug cut up for a cone. I have cones but most of my chickens don't fit in it well

eta I use the loppers on turkeys.. I tape the legs together, set the bird chest down on the ground and gently hold their fet with my foot.. reach over with the loppers and remove the head... they flop all over the place pumping blood.. about 50 feet.. cone is better.

Did you try different methods before you settled on one? I'm leaning towards a cone, but maybe trying the loppers instead of slicing. It seems to me that cutting the head off is more fool proof than possibly screwing up the vein. But I am worried about losing control of the bird trying to lay it down and cut it's head off. So I could put it in the cone and use the loppers and let it bleed out there, right?

Yes. We process two at a time - one in each cone. The loppers have to be kept sharp. I sharpen them about every dozen chickens with a hand held stone. I tried some different methods and this was my most comfortable space which led to it being the most efficient which is IMO best for the animal giving its life for me.

I decaptiate two just before scalding, plucking, and cleaning the two I did prior. That allows the two to bleed out well before they move on in the process. As you go, you learn efficiency is the key to getting things done well and at a good pace. Processing day is a family affair which is a great help as well.

Only one "threw" itself out of the cone and that was mostly on me - should have used the bigger cone. It is a learning process!

Yes. We process two at a time - one in each cone. The loppers have to be kept sharp. I sharpen them about every dozen chickens with a hand held stone. I tried some different methods and this was my most comfortable space which led to it being the most efficient which is IMO best for the animal giving its life for me.

I decaptiate two just before scalding, plucking, and cleaning the two I did prior. That allows the two to bleed out well before they move on in the process. As you go, you learn efficiency is the key to getting things done well and at a good pace. Processing day is a family affair which is a great help as well.

Only one "threw" itself out of the cone and that was mostly on me - should have used the bigger cone. It is a learning process!

I forego the cone in favor of hanging by the feet. Quicker for me.

Seeing it done in person gave me the Aha! moment. Put bird in proper size cone. (I use a traffic cone from Lowe’s.) Give bird a moment to relax. I take the bird’s head in my left hand and place my thumb on the “earlobe”. Cutting above that with my right-handed knife places my cut on the jugular. Use a very sharp knife and make a deep cut. (I remember cutting away from me.) Step back and wait until bird bleeds out. I haven’t had one make it out the cone, but the rooster I tied by his feet to the fence managed to flop free.

So I prefer to use my trimmed traffic cone. It has been more than a year since I dispatched anyone, therefore please forgive me if I neglected any steps.

Back
Top Bottom