Where to get processing equipment and stuffs?

gafultz

Hatching
Aug 1, 2024
Hi y’all!
I’ve got quail and in particular I’ve got some extra males that it’s time to process. But I am looking to scale up next year, I do sell at a farmers market and I’m looking to get into a couple local grocery co-ops.
Through some research I’ve learned how to do the culling at home. But I’m also wondering where I should get equipment, heat shrink bags, labels, etc. I know I can go through Amazon to get a small amount of these items, but I know that some times they change sellers and I’d like to find a brand and stick with it so I’m not troubleshooting anything between batches.
Is there a particular place you go to get your supplies? Bags, zips, labels
And for processing equipment; cones, shears, knives, pluckers, scalder, etc.
Thanks! I’d like to stay small scale, but I know better equipment leads to time saving and better product.

I can't speak to most of those items because we are extremely small scale about 14 Cornish X per year), but I will suggest getting some ~6 inch, semi-flex boning knives for evisceration/butchering time. I like the Dexter brand ones, but I also have some knockoffs Dexter ones that are nice. I also love my heavy butcher knife for when I am piecing out the meat. It's the Dalstrong brand and it's excellent. It stays nice and sharp.

Having quality knives that are suitable for what you're doing goes a looonnnggg way. I get mine professionally sharpened before each processing day as well.

Sorry I don't have much other advice to give.

Back
Top Bottom