Which Bantam Breeds Do You Recommend?

DuckDuckSook

Songster
Jan 20, 2020
Southeastern PA
My Coop
My Coop
Hello Friends!

I am going to add 3 bantams to my flock this spring and I wanted to get some input about different breeds. Currently, I'm considering: Belgian D'Uccle, Easter Egger, or Cochin bantams. I live in Southeastern PA, so we have sometimes colder winters and pretty hot, humid summers. I've ruled out Brahmas due to the heat and I would prefer to not get Silkies. Let me know your thoughts, experiences, and suggestions if you can. I'm looking for friendly birds that are weather tolerant. Thanks!

My little bantam Cochin rooster is an absolute hoot! Very entertaining, friendly, huge personality from day one.

I got him from TSC along with 5 other bantams (that I didn't want or need) because the one little Sultan chick was deformed and I thought he was going to die, and I didn't want to just leave him there.

So I ended up with a handful of bantams. And Bruiser ended up being Mr. Tough Guy. Any time I would stick my hand in their brooder for any reason he was right over there puffing his chest out letting me know he was the protector and in charge. It was really cute and funny!

He's been pretty hardy, but he did get frost bite on his comb when I had him in a more open and humid coop.

He is about 9 years old this year, along with his two "sisters" (who are a Sultan and Game Bantam?).

My little bantam Cochin rooster is an absolute hoot! Very entertaining, friendly, huge personality from day one.

I got him from TSC along with 5 other bantams (that I didn't want or need) because the one little Sultan chick was deformed and I thought he was going to die, and I didn't want to just leave him there.

So I ended up with a handful of bantams. And Bruiser ended up being Mr. Tough Guy. Any time I would stick my hand in their brooder for any reason he was right over there puffing his chest out letting me know he was the protector and in charge. It was really cute and funny!

He's been pretty hardy, but he did get frost bite on his comb when I had him in a more open and humid coop.

He is about 9 years old this year, along with his two "sisters" (who are a Sultan and Game Bantam?).
Aww. I love that he is a little Mr. Tough Guy. Thanks for the info!

I had a little blue cochin rooster that was also mixed with LO, and Isbar. He was my favorite. I love roosters though. I just hatched out some chicks in Dec, and I have one BCM rooster that chest bumps my hand. I don't mind.

I had a little blue cochin rooster that was also mixed with LO, and Isbar. He was my favorite. I love roosters though. I just hatched out some chicks in Dec, and I have one BCM rooster that chest bumps my hand. I don't mind.
Our Cinnamon King rooster Mo is one of our favorites ever too. I'm not trying to get a bantam rooster. I'm going to order hens and hope that they are all hens. We shall see..

Back
Top Bottom