Which breed of goose is best for a household with children?

makingshift

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 28, 2013
Austin, TX
We have raised chickens and ducks but I'm thinking of adding a couple of geese to the homestead this year. I don't want MEAN geese, though. What breed would you all recommend as being gentler? Also, are the geese a lot gentler than the ganders? I'm considering the Toulouse, Pilgrim, and buff.

Thanks!

I use some Africans

I have been around kids my whole life and I am over ten years old
them kids are the ones who taught me how to run and fly
rant.gif

gander007
old.gif

Please understand that no geese are mean. It's their nature to attack anything that makes them nervous - and since geese are prey, a lot of things can make them nervous. Geese have survived in the wild by being born with acute instincts for what might be dangerous. A gosling that has never met other geese will still scan the sky for potential predators. They're born with the best survival instincts!

Those instincts make goslings the cutest pets: always following you, no questions asked. They rely on you as their parent to fend off potential dangers. But those instincts also make grown geese a bit of a challenge. They'll hiss, charge, bite and slap if they get too nervous around you. And they'll remember the slightest "injustice" for ages. Geese are not great thinkers. If they're scared by something while you're around wearing a bright orange hat, they may deduce that you and the hat are the origin of the threat and treat you accordingly.

If you want to raise geese succesfully, you have to teach your kids how to behave around the geese; not the other way round. No sudden movements, especially while the goslings are young. No teasing, no running around, no yelling, no flailing. Greet the geese in the proper goose manner: bowing, nodding and talking while slowly walking towards them. Never chase them, let them come to you. Spend lots of time with them so they get used to your company.

Or just keep kids and geese totally separated at all times.

With mine, my visitors go down and walk around where the geese are, no problem. If there are children I go with them, but so far the geese are inquisitive but fine. The children aren´t allowed to run or scream, though. (nor the adults, come to that!)
lol.png
I have pilgrim-type.

I think if you get goslings and raise them with kids around then the geese will be use to being around kids. You will love raising geese, they will capture your heart!

I think if you get goslings and raise them with kids around then the geese will be use to being around kids. You will love raising geese, they will capture your heart!
Absolutely agree, they´ll capture your heart.

But it´s so important to teach the children to behave with the geese, this will really help the geese to be good with the children.

Back
Top Bottom