Which breeds of ducks are more cold harder than other ducks?

I have purchased from a couple different breeders most I do not have their contact info, but the one breeder I did find on the Livestock Conservation website. I purchased some of mine as hatching eggs from Angel Stipetich. Here's the link to the page. I also know that Wayne Myers who is on the list helps run one of the main Hookbills Facebook pages. https://livestockconservancy.org/index.php/heritage/internal/breeders-directory

Edit: I ended up finding neoprene boots made for ducks that I used on her feet instead of bandages. They were a lifesaver and made healing up her bumble foot so much easier. I found them here if anyone else has been looking for duck boots https://crazy-k-farm.myshopify.com/products/birdy-bootie-hand-made-in-the-usa
I also use the crazy k farm boots. They really are a lifesaver. Although I recommend using vet wrap to wrap the the top of the boot around their leg. If I don't do that, mine will flail around until they manage to kick the boots off.

I was wondering myself how cold was too cold for the ducks. I have Swedish blue ducks, and the answer is 7F. Down to that temp, they were out and about, and even swimming in their duck tank. But at 7F, they bolted out of their house, and then immediately sat down on their feet. In that cold spell in February, it was around 0F for over a week (with the windchill about -20F, and down to -19F one night), and they basically decided just to stay in their house (which is a converted goat shed, enclosed on three sides, and one side open, so all it really does is keep their bedding dry and keep the north wind out). I piled it up with straw inside, and they spent those days below 7F snuggled inside. But they were completely fine--no frostbite (unlike the chickens), no nothing. And then once it "heated up" to 10F again, out they went again.

I bought some of the boots myself, they were great, my mother, who likes to sew made me some out of beer koozies (sp?) they arent as durable as the ones I bought but she made them with a Velcro side and they go on much easier.
as ti the original question it has been interesting reading. My runners, who came grown from northern New Hampshire, on the coldest days had to take a break half with from the duck house to their big straw nest ( i kept adding a pile of straw every time it snowed to give them a place to lay that was relatively dry and insulated) they would drop like they had been shot and wiggle their feet into their feathers. Eventually they decided it was just easier to fly the 50’ from the nest to the duck house while the Pekins and Rouens did not seem particularly phased. They all enjoyed the nest and most of the winter only went from the nest to the house and back, ignoring the big pool i kept heated and open for them.

I was wondering myself how cold was too cold for the ducks. I have Swedish blue ducks, and the answer is 7F. Down to that temp, they were out and about, and even swimming in their duck tank. But at 7F, they bolted out of their house, and then immediately sat down on their feet. In that cold spell in February, it was around 0F for over a week (with the windchill about -20F, and down to -19F one night), and they basically decided just to stay in their house (which is a converted goat shed, enclosed on three sides, and one side open, so all it really does is keep their bedding dry and keep the north wind out). I piled it up with straw inside, and they spent those days below 7F snuggled inside. But they were completely fine--no frostbite (unlike the chickens), no nothing. And then once it "heated up" to 10F again, out they went again.
I really think the wind plays a huge factor too. Mine will be out in pretty cold temperatures, but if there's any wind, they hang out in the coop all day. Like today, the wind chill is around -3, so I let them out to eat and drink this morning and back in the coop they went.

Back
Top Bottom