which roo to keep

mama dixie

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 11, 2011
we have way to many roo's and we only have two coops. we have aprox oh maybe 30 hens and wow we have like 5 roo's

we are trying to decide which roo's to keep, now the one coop is mostly a Cochin coop it has some small and large girls and then it has two frizzle bantam roo's very cute and one bared rock looking roo who is just beautifully. I know I want to keep the bared rock looking roo, I am sure there is a name for him I just don't know it. I also want to keep my one frizzled white bantam Cochin in that pen as they get along well.

in the other coop I would like to have either my salmon faverll roo or my Cooper maran roo or my welsumer roo.

as for hens I have one welsamer one french coper maran, and then four salmon faverels some Easter eggers brown Leger's and pearl while leggers, oh and then as I said a lot of Cochin hens in the other coop.

what would you suggest for a roo to keep for breeding new babies as I need them and temperament.

I always go with temperment first. A roo has to be respectful of me and all the humans first, and nice to the ladies second. This is hard to tell sometimes during the hormone storm but you can usually get an idea of who will cause problems. Since you have a mixed type flock and are just breeding for yourself, go with who you like best, starting with temperment.

Back
Top Bottom