Why, Hello There!

RuthanneG

In the Brooder
Sep 19, 2024
BYC has been one of my main go-tos for all things chicken-help for a looong time. I've been getting help off the forum for so long, I figured it was about time to make an account. I've also learned a few things in all these years, so I feel I can start paying back now, too.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I've had chickens so long, we don't even remember when we first got chickens.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
Right now we have 2 hens and 3 pullets that are 15 weeks old

(3) What breeds do you have?
1 sex link, 1 Rhode Island Red, 2 Gold Laced Wyandottes, 1 Silver Laced Wyandotte

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
1) They eat the ticks, and we get eggs
2) Oh, what beautiful eggs! And the yolks, what indescribable color of yellow that changes with the seasons. That's how it's supposed to be.
3) Watching chickens peruse the yard is mildly therapeutic

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Raising Seeing Eye puppies for the Seeing Eye in Morristown, NJ
Gardening
Beekeeping

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
We have a German Shepherd that protects the chickens - he's helped save their lives during a fox attack, find lost chickens, corral stray chickens, scare off hawks. When the hawks are around and the chickens are scared, the German Shepherd will lie outside and all the hens will stay close to him. It's positively adorable.

hi there!! your dog sounds wonderful- what a blessing to your flock. nice to meet you.
9CD9F4F1-E4F3-4FA6-82A8-1CCD50892162.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom