Why is it okay to keep quail and rabbits in small wire cages, but not chickens?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is it okay to keep quail and rabbits in small wire cages (usually 30 x 36 inches), but not chickens? Why won't quail and rabbit keepers try to provide them with the same space and freedom that chickens have?
Responsible quail and rabbit keepers will give them far more space. I'm not sure what people you're talking about.:idunno
My rabbit has a 15 x 15' room all to herself, and my quail had a similarly sized run.

It's the fault of the companies who sell these cages. They don't care about the animals, just the money. Most people think that if the cages in the stores are labelled for rabbits, quail, etc. then they are an appropriate size and material. This includes chicken coops - most prefab coops you see at the farm stores are advertised to hold 5x as many chickens than should be held in there. And they don't have enough ventilation, predator-proofing, etc. People who don't do their research won't know any better, and the companies will continue to make money off of these people.

Why is it okay to keep quail and rabbits in small wire cages (usually 30 x 36 inches), but not chickens? Why won't quail and rabbit keepers try to provide them with the same space and freedom that chickens have?
First of all, quail are way smaller than a standard chicken.

Second, different practices for different breeders with rabbits. Some are pets, some are meat breeders and some are for show. If you're breeding for show or meat, you have more than one, and rabbits shouldn't be housed in the same areas when intact (which they would need to be for either of those two uses)

Not all animals are pets, some are just for meat and eggs. It’s not hard to understand, it’s just how people are now, they think their opinion on how others keep their animals is their business.

* For the record, I have my chickens in a 25x50’ run with every sort of predator protection possible because owls and hawks were killing the previous flock off one at a time.
I keep Corurnix quail in a very nice egg rollout cage with the space requirements necessary for egg production and fertilization and harvesting them clean so they can be incubated, traded or eaten without having to clean them. There are specific requirements for quail as far as cage height so they don’t fly up and break their necks when startled and also proper square footage per bird and male to female ratio to ensure proper fertilization.
My animals are well taken care of, never mistreated and I love them. It is my choice to have them free range, in an aviary or a cage because I own them and take care of them every single day.

I understand not wanting to build a mansion for your meat animals. But just because some are raised for meat doesn't mean they can or should be housed in a small, uncomfortable cage. Yes, meat chickens can have smaller enclosures but only because they get so fat they don't move around much or roost....it's borderline inhumane to breed these chickens in the first place.

I understand not wanting to build a mansion for your meat animals. But just because some are raised for meat doesn't mean they can or should be housed in a small, uncomfortable cage. Yes, meat chickens can have smaller enclosures but only because they get so fat they don't move around much or roost....it's borderline inhumane to breed these chickens in the first place.
I was more referring to his questions about rabbits and quail.

I don’t think it’s ok to keep animals in small spaces like that. Some of the reasons are that people don’t know any better and because they don’t want to admit they are being cruel. Even the book Storey’s Guide to Raising Rabbits mentions colonies and advises against them. Too much inertia behind the cage system to want or realize that it need to change.

I used to keep meat rabbits, in a huge fenced colony on the ground. You wouldn’t believe how many people said that they need to be alone, they will kill each other, get parasites, etc. These are all risks we take with chickens, it seems crazy to me to use those excuses to keep other animals in solitary confinement for their whole lives. Most people don’t know that rabbits are herd animals and would not choose to be solitary. I managed my rabbits like other livestock, the females all lived together in one big area, I chose a breeding period and let the buck in when it was time, took him out when I didn’t need more rabbits and he got to be with his male offspring when they got too mature to be with the females. Just a mini version of how my family kept cattle for a hundred years. The males didn’t fight over the females since they were separated and the females co-raised the kits. My rabbits all got to run and dig and experience the outdoors. Caged rabbits don’t get any of that and it’s very sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom