Why is my duck so scared?

BlueO

Songster
Nov 8, 2023
Hello! So I have a black Swedish duck and he is about 3-4 months old. He had a sister and when she was alive they followed me and loved being picked up. Since she died, Chicken(the black Swedish)has been so scared of me. For some reason, he hates when I pick him up but loves to just sit on my lap, while I pet him. He also has a buddy named Cheese, I got him when he’s sister died. But now he’s getting older and more scared. When I pick him up he will wiggles, squirms and flaps his wings and does everything he can to get out. Cheese does not do this.

Does anyone know why he acts like this? Any help would be very appreciated! Thank you!

Has he had a scare recently? Another animal or something? I know if they’ve been traumatized it can take them awhile to get over it and they will act skittish in the meantime.
I don’t know. My dog was sniffing very excitedly by their run yesterday. But he’s been acting like this for a while, so I’m not sure.:confused:

It could be his way of mourning his lost friend. Maybe he feels less safe without his friend despite having a new friend, maybw the new one doesn't make him feel as safe.

He could have also seen a predator that you did not see, it could be tormenting the area each night, scaring your birds.
His sister died when he was only a week old so I doubt he’d really remember it. I’m not sure about the predator thing but none of the other ducks are acting this way so I’m just really confused.:confused:

His sister died when he was only a week old so I doubt he’d really remember it. I’m not sure about the predator thing but none of the other ducks are acting this way so I’m just really confused.:confused:
At 3-4 months he is probably in a puberty stage. Different people/animals act different in those times. I have had chickens who loved being touched when they were babies, then they hit juvenile stage and didn't want to be messed with as much, then they went to adult age and they are back to being loving!

Also, when some birds get picked up they may get freakes out over their feet being off the ground if they don't really fly. I have a pullet who loves for me to scratch her, but when I pick her up, even momentarily, she freaks out but calms back down when she is on my lap. It is a bird to bird thing.

Agree with the above. My chicks loved being picked up when they were babies. Now they hate it (hormonal teens 😅). I just let them do their thing and don’t force them to let me pick them up. I just sit on the ground with them and two of my girls will jump up on my lap for a few seconds and then go off and do their own thing again.

At 3-4 months he is probably in a puberty stage. Different people/animals act different in those times. I have had chickens who loved being touched when they were babies, then they hit juvenile stage and didn't want to be messed with as much, then they went to adult age and they are back to being loving!

Also, when some birds get picked up they may get freakes out over their feet being off the ground if they don't really fly. I have a pullet who loves for me to scratch her, but when I pick her up, even momentarily, she freaks out but calms back down when she is on my lap. It is a bird to bird thing.
OK, thank you! I didn’t really think they hit that until they were getting ready to breed.😅

Back
Top Bottom