Wild wood sorrel

Antiocheggers

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Jul 3, 2022
Antioch, Florida
Is wild wood sorrel good for chickens? It grows all over my yard. I read it was so I was wondering if any one had given it to their chickens?
1000040257.jpg

Is wild wood sorrel good for chickens? It grows all over my yard. I read it was so I was wondering if any one had given it to their chickens?
Links to what you read that it was "good" for chickens?
Thanks!

It is a wild edible, for humans anyway, I have it growing around my property and as kids we'd chew on a few pieces because it's sour and tangy.

As for being "good" for chickens, I can't say. If your chickens are foraging about, they may nip off pieces of the plants and consume it just like they will take nips of a lot of different plants, grasses, roots and bugs.

If they don't forage, then including some of the sorrel in with a bunch of weeds, grass or greens that you normally pull for them and throw in the run should be fine.

https://www.wildedible.com/wild-food-guide/wood-sorrel

If you have kidney stones, be aware of this: (google search)

"It is also high in Vitamin A and potassium and is a good source of iron. However, sorrel contains very high amounts of oxalic acid — that's what makes the veggie seem tart — which can be bad news for those who are prone to kidney stones (most kidney stones are made up of calcium oxalate)."

Links to what you read that it was "good" for chickens?
Thanks!

It is a wild edible, for humans anyway, I have it growing around my property and as kids we'd chew on a few pieces because it's sour and tangy.

As for being "good" for chickens, I can't say. If your chickens are foraging about, they may nip off pieces of the plants and consume it just like they will take nips of a lot of different plants, grasses, roots and bugs.

If they don't forage, then including some of the sorrel in with a bunch of weeds, grass or greens that you normally pull for them and throw in the run should be fine.

https://www.wildedible.com/wild-food-guide/wood-sorrel. That's the same links I read.

Back
Top Bottom