Wildlife Photography

100_2248.JPG
100_2263 (1).JPG
100_2285.JPG

Great pic! Don't see many whales down here in the Gulf of Mexico.

I was fishing offshore one day several years ago when out of the corner of my eye I saw what looked like a huge forked tail going into the water and a ginormous splash. I've always thought it was a whale but we have a lot of manta rays so it was probably a big one that had jumped out of the water....

Last edited:
Great pic! Don't see many whales down here in the Gulf of Mexico.

I was fishing offshore one day several years ago when out of the corner of my eye I saw what looked like a huge forked tail going into the water and a ginormous splash. I've always thought it was a whale but we have a lot of manta rays so it was probably a big one that had jumped out of the water....

Bottlenose dolphins are most common along the shores of the Gulf of Mexico, but the larger whales are definitely scarce close to shore. I was down in the Caribbean tracking/studying sperm whales for the month of February - it's amazing how much life there is south of the Gulf! It seems that many of the Gulf of Mexico whale populations are small and live offshore, which is why they aren't seen too often. The rays can definitely breach impressively - I caught one on camera jumping in amongst some dolphins a few years back.

Back
Top Bottom