Will a non-aggressive rooster make non-aggressive baby chick cockerels?

WaterfowlsPoultry

Barred Rock Lover
Premium Feather Member
Jan 12, 2024
South Carolina Greenville
Hello, Just a question I have at the moment..
My rooster Rocky and his hen Dweebledop (gosh I hate that name..) have hatched out 3 chicks we named Snack, Hennifer, and Maxxy One of my chicks are a Roo (I think) I do not mind having another rooster, But My rooster Rocky is a non-aggressive loving Barred Rock. I want to know if my cockerel (Once it grows older) will become aggressive? I heard something about aggressive Roos being just genetics but I want to make sure. They were born somewhere in July 8-13 so they are about a month old. Will my cockerel become non-aggressive like my Roo? or is there just a chance it can become aggressive.

What Jacin said.
Complicated stuff like personality is not controlled by one gene, there are many (based on research into humans), and the way they all interact can have complex, varying results.
There's the hens side to think of as well. She may not show aggression but be carrying it from her father / grandfathers.
Choosing only gentle chickens to breed makes it more likely to get gentle roosters, but there will likely still be some bad boys to weed out for several generations at least.

What Jacin said.
Complicated stuff like personality is not controlled by one gene, there are many (based on research into humans), and the way they all interact can have complex, varying results.
There's the hens side to think of as well. She may not show aggression but be carrying it from her father / grandfathers.
Choosing only gentle chickens to breed makes it more likely to get gentle roosters, but there will likely still be some bad boys to weed out for several generations at least.
If we get an aggressive I don't know what I would do.
But it makes me feel better knowing that there's a high chance it'll be a nice one or at least a neutral.

If we get an aggressive I don't know what I would do.
But it makes me feel better knowing that there's a high chance it'll be a nice one or at least a neutral.

Culling is really the only responsible option for aggressive cockerels. If we all prioritize demeanor, we can make the chicken world a friendlier, better hobby for future keepers.

Not all roosters will have the temperament of their father. My son has a rooster that was human aggressive when he was young. Some of his sons have been great with humans, others haven’t. Each rooster has an individual personality and you, the keeper, play a role in how you are treated.

Nothing is ever guaranteed with animals, but in general you stack the odds in your favor by only breeding chickens with sound temperment

Back
Top Bottom