Will foxes kill all the chickens and leave them in the yard?

WhimsyGrim

In the Brooder
Mar 21, 2022
Something dug under my sister's chicken coop and killed all her chickens. It happened very early in morning, before dawn. Four were killed and left in the yard and three are missing. Feathers were everywhere and the chickens left in the yard were not eaten. We are in a rural area and there has been a fox around before, but would a fox kill all the chickens, drag them from the coop and leave them in the yard? There is a concern a neighbor's dogs have gotten into the coop, but the missing chickens sound like a fox 🤷

Last edited:
:welcome sorry for the circumstances. It could have been either. If a fox , it may have been interrupted before it could remove all of the chickens.
A fox makes sense for the most part, really hoping it's not the neighbor's dogs. Thank you!

I vote dog.
It's great fun for a dog to kill chickens. They dont stop until its quiet and no more fun can be had.
I've had chickens for 50 years and all losses to fox and coyote are one chicken at a time. They kill to eat live and feed there young. Get in, get one, and get out before discovery, take it back to the family for dinner.
Not so with dogs. They stick around as they are accustomed to being in close proximity to humans and buildings.
Sorry for the loss of your flock.
If you get more chickens you know now the fortification that needs in place to protect these harmless creatures that have no real way to protect themselves.
Also invest in a couple game cameras. A great way to KNOW what preditors you will have to deal with.

I vote dog.
It's great fun for a dog to kill chickens. They dont stop until its quiet and no more fun can be had.
I've had chickens for 50 years and all losses to fox and coyote are one chicken at a time. They kill to eat live and feed there young. Get in, get one, and get out before discovery, take it back to the family for dinner.
Not so with dogs. They stick around as they are accustomed to being in close proximity to humans and buildings.
Sorry for the loss of your flock.
If you get more chickens you know now the fortification that needs in place to protect these harmless creatures that have no real way to protect themselves.
Also invest in a couple game cameras. A great way to KNOW what preditors you will have to deal with.

Foxes will do that as well. I had a vixen and her kits kill 23 chickens one afternoon. They apparently took them all down first, as I caught them just as they were coming back to carry more away.

Go fishing with a good size treble hooks on wire hanging down approximately 3 foot off the ground baited with pork cracklings take a base ball bat and a pair pliers good Day

Go fishing with a good size treble hooks on wire hanging down approximately 3 foot off the ground baited with pork cracklings take a base ball bat and a pair pliers good Day
Drowning it sounds less graphic if no access to gun. I think some animal people will euthanise it take it away too

Back
Top Bottom