Interesting to see the patterns of laying. So far the Plymouth Barred Rock seem to lay a few days in a row, take a break, then start again.
I have noticed this with mine as well. She lays for 2-5 days then takes a 1-4 day break. The breaks seem to be getting longer now that the days are getting shorter.

Congratulations WingitRanch!! Very pretty birds and gorgeous eggs.

I must admit, I'm a tad envious. We are STILL waiting for our first egg from our 8 month old golden comet - some production breed - HA! She's been squatting for weeks, comb and wattles are fully grown and gorgeous fire engine red. I'm patiently waiting, waiting, waiting for that first egg.

I have to ask to satisfy curiosity -- what are you feeding your birds?

Congratulations WingitRanch!! Very pretty birds and gorgeous eggs.

I must admit, I'm a tad envious. We are STILL waiting for our first egg from our 8 month old golden comet - some production breed - HA! She's been squatting for weeks, comb and wattles are fully grown and gorgeous fire engine red. I'm patiently waiting, waiting, waiting for that first egg.

I have to ask to satisfy curiosity -- what are you feeding your birds?
Hey, I totally get that! I'm one to do deep research before I get any animal so I'm as prepared as possible but it seems there's a lot of guess work in chickens. For example, I had 18 weeks circled on the calendar because that was the "average" I read for first eggs. I started checking for eggs at 16 weeks. HA!

I'm feeding mine 20% Kalmach Flock Maker pellets and they have grit and oyster shell free choice in separate containers. I'm VERY happy with that choice. I'm never switching to Layer feed. The group is super healthy with the protein level and their eggs are very strong. So strong that they're actually hard to crack!

Hey, I totally get that! I'm one to do deep research before I get any animal so I'm as prepared as possible but it seems there's a lot of guess work in chickens. For example, I had 18 weeks circled on the calendar because that was the "average" I read for first eggs. I started checking for eggs at 16 weeks. HA!

I'm feeding mine 20% Kalmach Flock Maker pellets and they have grit and oyster shell free choice in separate containers. I'm VERY happy with that choice. I'm never switching to Layer feed. The group is super healthy with the protein level and their eggs are very strong. So strong that they're actually hard to crack!
I also currently feed Kalmbach. I don't care for the fact the second ingredient in most of their feed is soy, I was just thinking about switching to their 17% soy free if I can find a local dealer.

Wishing you continued success with your chickens.

Back
Top Bottom