Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Afternoon
frow.gif
sort of sunny and a little windy here but not to bad!

Bigzio- Congrats on the Tom! maybe I should send DS(12) up to you so he can learn about turkey hunting
wink.png

Congrats on the chicks that are hatching...we are pretty much stopped here for now...waiting and watching the ones we have to see what they turn out as.

DH brought us home a new feathered friend last night....went to a job site to look at a possible water leak and came away with this guy. So
when the kids and I got home from soccer practice, we got him all bedded and settle in for the night. Of course now DD would like us to find him a few friends. He is very tame, the family that had him, held him a lot but due to a sudden job change couldn't take him with and it was adding to their stress so DH said we would take it. Poor DH......
lau.gif

This of course isn't the newest member we added, friends of ours gave us their female pied peahen. They were afraid she would get killed either by a predator or on the road- they do have a male but the 2 peafowl don't like each other. Of course, adding her has changed the dynamics of our group but so far all 3 are still in good shape
fl.gif
hopefully they will settle down.

Guess I best go get a pen or two cleaned out before the activities for tonight.

D&L...my Bear hunting for years has been just north of Roberts Lake area and been to lily lodge many times....are you in the south of highway W area ? I know those gravel roads well....nice area.

bigz
Our place is on Cty. Hwy. A. It used to be a Christmas tree farm. If you see a telephone pole with the word "DICK" spray painted on it- that's the place! LOL

well here's the new incubator I bought for $50. Not sure I want to mangle it to make it electric as it looks so cool but I did buy it to try and use as a hatcher.

Also have 5 chicks now hatched.

From front to back to right. EE, EE, SS, BYM

Sure this is pure BO as I have BO roo in that pen with BO hens and 1 Blue Maran, 1 Black Maran and 1 Black Lav Split Orp.

Last edited:
I'm more northern. Less than 2 hours from lake superior. I'm going to build my own coop, so I'm just curious as to what others have done around here.

I am in Amery. I have my bantams in an insulated coop, but not my large fowl. Leghorns aren't very
hardy. They would benefit from being protected from the elements as much as possible.

Last edited:
good afternoon,

I must be at the halfway point between sout and nort.. half of my coops are insulated, one is half insulated..

H&R my peacocks and hens never hung around together.. that didn't mean that they didn't get along.. we had fertile eggs..

IDK when they did the deed.. I never saw it happen ..

made an appt to get the Blazer in to the fixit shop.. over a week out ..

got new glasses ordered.. could not get them to admit they made a mistake.. it was all my fault because I could not get used to the new glasses..
they are sticking to their old measurement for the new lenses.. good, they will not work either..
my eyes just are not as far apart as they seem to believe.. I tried to tell them that.
why is it so hard for people to just say ," whoops, I goofed up" ..????

got Dora.s nails all trimmed as well as the dew claws.. Gus doesn't have any dew claws.. they must have clipped them when he was a tiny pup.. that is a very good idea.. something I am going to start to do..
.......jiminwisc.........

Good Afternoon ...that's funny d&l ...I'll keep my eyes pealed..LOL.
ep.gif

Well I tell ya H&R...I love to mentor....the problem is that hunting is learning (no matter how many hours you have spent) and the harvest never seems to come when you need it most when teaching the young ones...patience is the whole key to a successful turkey harvest...most hunters lack that and call way to much...I would be happy to mentor...without a guarantee harvest results (because they are fickle)...they are a challenge and fun...Life is short....talk to me at the bash for next year...if you are serious. It's boring for those that can't wait for maybe a harvest. It's hunting and you never know when the harvest will happen.
Most times afield it won't....that's where the blessed and thankful come from.

Man our my birds having a blast free ranging today...they are happy boods for sure!

Later ..bigz

Went to pick out the non-fertile eggs and one of the batch set to hatch Saturday is broken. It looks like a scuffle occurred and the shell was cracked. I left it just in case it was close to hatch, but I think that it is a goner. I didn't want to pick it up to see which chick it was supposed to be, but I do know it wasn't a blue egg!
sad.png

Positive news, I'm heading to Jim's (Friday) to see this guy.
LL
I sure hope you take that pup.. I have been so tempted. I have seen jim s dogs and they are really nice.. congrats jimbo on that new female.... pup that is.... How very nice of anne to suprise you.. she already knows how lonely you ll be when C/S takes your last one.. Nice to have a buddy to take such good care of you!! I suppose you are like a teenager again now you got yourself a new set of wheels..... watch out anne... he s a sneaky one

Harvest Day To Everyone...I hope you didn't stay in bed this morning if you have a tag...LOL!

Sure was a chilly start, and took a little extra sweet talk to convince him to come close enough.
He came in silent with a hen. I'm very thankful and blessed.

bigz
AWWWW NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good for you buddy you deserve that after your winter efforts... Nature gives back,,, not just the bird but the opportunity to take in a great hunting day as well!!

Back
Top Bottom