Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Been eyeballing growing mushrooms for a few years, have some trimming to do on Ash and Maple trees and while I don't see Ash listed as recommended maybe I will try. I think I have a great place to put the logs along side the west facing side of a garage that has a tall row of evergreens a few feet away, the dew dripping from the garage will keep it moist, and the garage and evergreens will keep the direct light to a minimum.
Might inoculate soon and keep them in the 45 degree garage till hard freezing is over to try and give it a jump start for the year, kids would get a kick out of helping drill and hammer the plugs.

good morning,

I woke up at 4, 5 and 6 this morning. I managed to go back to sleep until 8.

If the sun doesn't show today, we are not going to hit the
forecasted high.

I have to go look at a car for Annie today. A job I do not relish.

Geico still hasn't settled with us, but she needs a car and the body shop wants their loaner back.

I would take a whack at Shittake shrooms, but I don't know if I would like them.
as far as I can remember, the only kind of shroom I ever ate are the white buttons..I had a bite of a raw Morell one time. not very impressive, raw.

I had a brainstorm this morning while lying in bed and deciding if I should get up.
I wonder how a cabinet incubator would work for mushroom growing. or even a LG or Hova Bator ?

dark, moist, and a fan for air circulation.
you wouldn't have to supply any heat..
I have an old LG that I just might try out.

If it works, then I will look into using a Sportsman.
I have a big pile of metal trays for the Sportsmans that I never use anymore..
Multi tasking bators. Hmmm?

........jiminwisc........
.......jiminwisc......

Oak is number one, but the forester that got us started in them used ironwood. We have access to lots of ironwood and it is an invasive nuisance tree that will take over a forest so that is what we use and have great luck with it. We cut them about 40 inches long and as big around as you feel like lifting. My hubby made us an inoculation table that works like a dream. Drill the holes, fill with inoculant, seal with wax and wait

I read that you use bee's wax. could you use any other kind ? like parafin ? or candle wax ?

A long time ago I saw a documentary about shrooms in Germany. After the US abandoned so many of our missle sites the Germans moved into the caves and made mushroom farms.

I was stationed at one of these sites. those caves were awesome. big enough to drive semi's into and had concrete walls, floors and ceilings.
perfect temp for mushrooms.

......jiminwisc....

what kind of car you looking at Jim? I love car shopping. Laying low with the wife today. She hadn't had to take anything for pain yet. Just eating soft foods and relaxing

what kind of car you looking at Jim? I love car shopping. Laying low with the wife today. She hadn't had to take anything for pain yet. Just eating soft foods and relaxing

this one is a Buick Park Avenue.
I looked at it with our mechanic friend.
All it needs is a muffler. and as long as he is at it he will
service the transmission.
this puppy has all the bells and whistles .
the guy who owns it is 97. as it turnes out, I was on the same bowling league as his wife. she is actually on my bro Dave's team..

I still do not like car shopping.

got 15 eggs today, I think the key is to not let the waterer go dry. Kind of hard to do when it is so nasT cold out.

.......I did some measuring on my LG bator.
I can make a 14" x 14" box fit nicely. I was surprised at the small amount of head room, though. I think I can get by with a 3" tall box. that will give me air space all around the box.
as it turns out, this LG does not have a fan in it.
I will work around that for now.

Annie said she would make lunch for me. I have been hungry for a grilled cheese sandwich and tomato soup.
that sure hit the spot.

...jiminwisc......

Hi all sorry I don't have time to get caught up today this is kind of urgent.
One of my friends on the Illinois thread has a sister in the hospital that's in the ICU in critical condition. She's septic. Please for those of you that pray pray and if not please keep her in your thoughts.

@Faraday40

Thank you all. I know most of you on here have been through illness and hardship, some of you recently. This is a wonderful family that really just needs some hugs sent there way.

Thanks again guys. I'm glad to have found such a wonderful group of people.

Hi all sorry I don't have time to get caught up today this is kind of urgent.
One of my friends on the Illinois thread has a sister in the hospital that's in the ICU in critical condition. She's septic. Please for those of you that pray pray and if not please keep her in your thoughts.

@Faraday40

Thank you all. I know most of you on here have been through illness and hardship, some of you recently. This is a wonderful family that really just needs some hugs sent there way.

Thanks again guys. I'm glad to have found such a wonderful group of people.

I know what septic is, in 2005 my best friend ended up in the hospital with it. he went into a coma for 32 days.
while he was out, his wife had to decide if they should do an operation. she opted for yes, to save his life.
when he woke up, all of his fingers had been removed plus both of his legs just below the knees.
he adjusted very well and is leading somewhat a normal life.
there is an ad on TV for Walkabout prosthetics. It has Dave coming out of the door and walking away on his iron legs.

.......jiminwisc.......

Yep Prayers sent their way cd!

Yep cw, those are actually the size Light Brahama Roo's that you end up with Mark Peterson's line that I talk about now and then.....mine was that big, tell it got into the moldy sunflower heads that tipped over and I was to lazy to worry about.....in caution for those of you that grow sunflowers, if the large plants get blown over, don't allow the heads to lay there and become moldy....with the birds just trying some of them, it can end up bad for the birds that try them.

bigz

Back
Top Bottom