Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

I'd watch CL and marketplace. I see them all the time.
Thank you, I've found a few on the local CLs. Most only have older hens left. Hard to find pullets this time of year in WI. I love chicks but I'm afraid it's too cold to start them since it got so cold those few weeks last January. I think I found a lady who will sell me a pullet or two who is nearby. She's an orpington breeder and she said she would look through her stock this weekend and get back to me.

View attachment 3967528 I bought these work good except wish I left more space betweeen 2 of them as after fill spills on leg....I left space but not enough..install on 5 gallon pale
We use vertical nipples and horizonal nipples and always have. The ones in the coop on the 5-gallon bucket have lasted eight years with only one needing to be replaced.

We use them both in the brooder -- the vertical ones are for the young chicks, then the tupperware container one is training for the bigger ones that are on the heated waterers in the temp coops, then eventually the main coop.

When we started, we had huge humidity problems in the coop . Then we switched to horse bedding pellets and nipple waterers and got an exhaust fan. Much of the time the coop is less humid than outside and never smells.

IMG_0642.JPEG

I found a neat way to plant two 15 foot rows of raspberries.
I cut the sod with the tractor loader bucket. then backed up a foot and cut it again. only on the second cut, I pushed a lilttle harder and scooped out the whole chunk of sod. leaving a trench just perfect to set the potted plants in. then we scooped the dirt from the bucket to cover the roots.
made two rows with plenty of space between to keep the grass and volunteer plants cut back.
the railing and insulation at the garage stairway is coming along nicely.
this week bro Dave is coming to help me plant the potted pear tree into the hole I scooped out with the tractor.
the wine is merrily fermenting along. over half of the sugar is used up.
have 20 pounds of blackberries to make a second batch.
DD gave me a juicer machilne. I hope it will work on a large scale. actually I hope it works at all.
have to change the oil in the tractor before it gets too cold out.
setting traps for mice. that time of year again.

I found a neat way to plant two 15 foot rows of raspberries.
I cut the sod with the tractor loader bucket. then backed up a foot and cut it again. only on the second cut, I pushed a lilttle harder and scooped out the whole chunk of sod. leaving a trench just perfect to set the potted plants in. then we scooped the dirt from the bucket to cover the roots.
made two rows with plenty of space between to keep the grass and volunteer plants cut back.
the railing and insulation at the garage stairway is coming along nicely.
this week bro Dave is coming to help me plant the potted pear tree into the hole I scooped out with the tractor.
the wine is merrily fermenting along. over half of the sugar is used up.
have 20 pounds of blackberries to make a second batch.
DD gave me a juicer machilne. I hope it will work on a large scale. actually I hope it works at all.
have to change the oil in the tractor before it gets too cold out.
setting traps for mice. that time of year again.
We have a forest behind us and farmer's fields on the other three sides. No way traps here would put a dent in them, and two barn cats can't get in the places where they hide. We had been successfully using those scent packets, then I went to buy some more to replace ours and too expensive so I found a way to make our own. I wrote an article explaining.

we have good luck with some black plastic traps that we bought from Fleet Farm. the mice have to crawl about half way in to get the bait. the trap is very sensitive. have to be gentle when setting it down. when they go off, you can hear it from the other room.

Back
Top Bottom